Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to get debug output from a BlackBerry device

Hi,

I'm developing a J2ME app for BlackBerry devices.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get debug output from a BlackBerry device? 

Thanks,

- Jesse

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: How to get debug output from a BlackBerry device

Yes, this can be done.  First, connect the BlackBerry device to your PC via USB and then from the BlackBerry JDE click on the Debug menu, select Attach To, Handheld and then choose your PIN.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Hello Mark, 

Thanks for your quick reply...
I'm new to the BlackBerry development... The "BlackBerry JDE" you mentioned here, is it the JDE or JDWP found under Research In Motion -> BlackBerry JDE x.x.x?

I have downloaded BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0, BlackBerry JDE Component Package 4.3.0 and I'm using NetBeans as IDE. I know how to add the Blackberry JDE as a Custom Emulator in NetBeans to compile my source code, but I couldn't find the "debug" menu you specified... Please advise.

Thanks,

- Jesse 

Developer

Hi,

Go to "Research In Motion" -> "BlackBerry JDE X.X" -> "JDE". IDE will open. Select Debug -> Attach To -> Handheld -> BB PIN.

BB PIN will appear when you have connected your BlackBerry device to PC using USB cable. You can see the out put in Debug window of IDE.

Rgds,

BBDeveloper

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
New Developer

Hi,

Thanks for the reply...

When I go to "Research In Motion" -> "BlackBerry JDE 4.3.0" -> "JDE", I don't see any IDE gets opened.

Is it because I didn't install the correct BlackBerry JDE? I downloaded and installed BlackBerry JDE 4.3 (BlackBerry_JDE_4.3.0.exe).

All I saw was a DOS window gets poped up very briefly...

Thanks,

- Jesse 

Developer

[ Edited ]

Some possibilities:

- You have an issue with your path environment variable, or JAVA_HOME environment variable

- You have not installed a JDK/JRE, or you have not installed the correct JDK/JRE for JDE 4.3

Modify the IDE.bat file and place a pause after the call to the IDE, this way you can see the console output.

Message Edited by RexDoug on 10-18-2008 07:12 PM
Developer
My Device: Passport

All the suggestions here assume the use case of it being your device.  If its someone elses device, it gets a bit tricker.  Basically, you need to use the built-in logging capabilities of the BB API, and then get the event log back to your computer.  The API docs cover the event logger pretty well.