Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to implement push registry on Sprint (CDMA) phone?

[ Edited ]

My MIDlet implements push registry using SMS connection types, it also can send SMS message. This MIDlet works fine on GSM BlackBerry devices but not on Sprint (CDMA) BlackBerry device.

After searching this forum, I found that "we do not support JSR-120 for sending and receiving SMS messages on CDMA devices today".

My question is how to implement push registry on CDMA BlackBerry device?

Thanks.

Message Edited by jian on 09-19-2008 01:38 AM
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: How to implement push registry on Sprint (CDMA) phone?

You can use a Datagram connection on CDMA BlackBerry handhelds.  Please see this link for more information.

Known Issues - Unable to send SMS text messages using BlackBerry smartphones that operate on CDMA networks
Article Number: DB-00664

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/Known_I...

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

I want my application get the notification when a SMS message arrives on the port. I tried the Datagram approach, but the port number was stripped out.

Searching the forums, I found the comment of "The CDMA network they use doesn't handle messages the same way as other networks so they ignore the port on the message and treat it as a regular SMS.".

The application works fine on LG and Sanyo phones running on Sprint CDMA network, but not on BlackBerry 8703e running on Sprint CDMA network.

My question, is it possible to implement push registry on BlackBerry devices running on CDMA network? If it is, how?

Thanks.

For these networks you could listen for all incoming SMS messages.  It would then be up to your application to determine the messages that it should process.
Mark Sohm

New Developer

[ Edited ]

I wonder if Article Number: DB-00390 and Article Number: DB-00385 work on CDMA BlackBerry phones? if they don't, how to register a MIDlet with the PushRegistry for CDMA BlackBerry phone? and how to create an auto-start MIDlet using the PushRegistry for CDMA BlackBerry phone?

Thanks.

Message Edited by jian on 09-23-2008 11:49 PM

What problems are you having with the samples?  What BlackBerry model and handheld software version are you testing on?  You can find this under Options, About on the BlackBerry.

Mark Sohm