Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 8900 Javelin

Re: How to install Eclipse plug in?

@MA4312: regarding the very long time it took to start the simulator. It seems that some simulators can take ages on their first run to create the emulated flash store and file system, etc. You can see these files (ranging from relatively small to over 60 meg) and occassionally some of the simulators create a necessary DLL too. After the first run of a given simulator the following runs should be quicker.

With Eclipse 3.3.1.1 and plugin 1.0.0.22 i sometimes get a timeout from the simulator for no reason. You can try making the timeout longer (Preferences - Java - Debug - Debugger timeout (ms)). I'm too impatience to wait around and normally kill the simulator and re-run.

Developer

@jacytan: i am using an older plugin (1.0.0.22 for Eclipse 3.3.1.1). I installed lots of JDEs from 4.2 to 4.7 and each of these appears in the Blackberry JDE - Installed Components section of Eclipse. I would give the proper 4.5.0 JDE a go - i'd guess it will appear in the Eclipse component list just fine.
Developer

@shamusschubert: if you want to do cheeky development deploys using a USB cable and are not going to try to read custom JAD properties i'd suggest you use javaloader that comes with each of the various JDE packs. I have a batch file with the following line - change the location/name of the COD to your own obviously:

"C:\tools\RIM\BlackBerry JDE 4.2.0\bin\javaloader" -usb load ..\dist\Shazam430.cod

If you want to access custom JAD properties, or want to install as a user would then you can perservere with ALX or install over the air. Sometimes ALX works for me, other times it tells me no new software is available when i know it is so i gave up with ALX for now.

For OTA you will need the JAD and the COD files pieces. The COD file created from a build cannot be put on a web site directly; rename it as .ZIP, open it and extract the separate COD files (there may be 1 or more) and put each of those on the web site with the JAD. You do not distribute the JAR (even though it is referenced in the JAD - it isn't needed).

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hi robinShazam,

I tried that before, installing the JDE 4.5.0. It did appear in the eclipse installed components. But i want to try using the component packs instead of the JDE as an installed component. Can you help me with this? Smiley Happy

Thanks so much for the reply.

Developer

Sorry mate, although i appear to have a component back (4.3) i always use one of the proper JDEs from within Eclipse. I am not sure what advantages or disadvantages this brings other than being able to build and debug 4.2 and 4.2.1 within Eclipse. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the pros and cons of component packs!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

The first beta release of the BlackBerry JDE Plug-in For Eclipse allowed the use of externally installed instances of the BlackBerry JDE or BlackBerry JDE Component Pack.

The current beta does not support this and requires the BlackBerry JDE Component Packs be installed as Eclipse plug-ins.

Regarding the missing plug-ins, please open Eclipse and go to Help, About and then click on the Plug-ins button.  What plug-ins do you see from Research In Motion?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

I have complete instructions on how to setup eclipse to work with blackberry. See http://riccomini.name/Topics/Mobile/BlackBerry/BlackBerrySetup/ for details. This also includes setting the simulator to be the blackberry storm (9530).
BlackBerry/Mobile Enthusiast - http://www.riccomini.name
New Developer

I think I'm using the older beta since the actual JDE's can be seen under Installed Components.

I looked at the Plug-ins under Research in Motion, 4.5.0 is installed. But it is not displayed under the Installed Components. Why is that?

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

It sounds like you may have a newer (beta 2) release of the Component Pack but are using an older version (beta 1) of the BlackBerry JDE Plug-in for Eclipse.   Updating to beta 2 should fix this, however note that you won't be able to reference installed versions of the BlackBerry JDE in the plug-in with beta 2.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

I am getting the "failed to connect to remote VM" error message and it is not going away.  I am having trouble getting my simulator to show changes in my application, so I did "Erase Simulator File->Erase All". I though this would clear out stored simulator data but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I can see my simulators in the Debug Configurations, but they are not working correctly.  How can I get my simulator to work AND display code changes?  At this point I am willing to restart the simulator every time just so I can see it work.

Thanks in advance for any help.