Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to keep persistent data even after wipe up of phone??

[ Edited ]

Hello Friends,

I am trying to develope a security application. I want to keep the variable value (boolean / int ) even if somebody wipe up my phone. I found some default stored images on phone, which are forward locked . These images can not be deleted. Is it possible to create this type of data through my application?

Thanks

Developer

Re: How to keep persistent data even after wipe up of phone??

I doubt that "forward locking" has anything to do with data surviving a wipe. But it's an interesting theory to test. Forward locking is about making the file encrypted and access-controlled in such a way that its plaintext contents can only be read by the BlackBerry that created the file, and, optionally, only by application(s) signed with a particular key.

One interesting approach to try is to store data in the form of modules's signatures (see my old post for th technical details : http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/How-to-include-dynamic-information-in-the-co...). When a wipe is user-initiated from the BlackBerry, the user can specify whether third-party application modules are deleted or not. Applications can programatically save modules, but they cannot read the contents of modules later on, except for the signatures. You could thus store your data as "signatures" of modules that you programmatically save.

P.S. I believe, when the wipe is user-initiated from the BlackBerry, the user can choose whether to wipe the SD Card or not. So, data located on the SD Card have a higher chance of surviving on average.

New Developer

Actually, I want to distribute my application to my clients/ customers. I distribute registration mey to the authorized users. using this registration key the application will get register. But the problem is when I wipe my phone, the persistent data is also wiped. and hence after wiping of phone, the user is again forced to go to registration page. I dont want user to register this time (as he is already registered). He should be able to use the application directly.

Thanks

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

all data on a phone can be deleted. your user can re-enter the same key and it should work, at least if the key was generated for the BB pin.

another option is a license server. we use both.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter