Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

How to know if certain device of a customer is CDMA or GSM

Considering  GSM and CDMA versions of a certain device  may work on both types of networks which is a good way to know which type of device is being used by a certain application.
I make this question because a customer has a BB9860 which seems behaving as CDMA Device in terms of audio player despite being in Europe.  So, is there a simple way  I can ask him to check if device is CDMA or GSM? 
Finaly, can this be read programatically too? So for example I could adapt code to start an audio recorder differently depending if device is CDMA (enabling voipMode and specifying bitrate) or GSM?
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: How to know if certain device of a customer is CDMA or GSM

you can either check the status of the radio network, i guess, or check if GPRSInfo or CDMAInfo return results.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

Probably i not explained myself properly

My requirement is to know if the device was orginally a 'CDMA ' or 'GSM' device due to the differences there are in the audio player of that devices. For instance ,to adapt behaviour of audio player for streaming using voip mode or not and keep having advantage of being able to change bitrate  or use qcelp encoding in cdma devices. 

With GprsInfo or radio network info  I would only know to which type of network the device is connected not which audio player i'm facing with.  Also, what if the device is connected through Wifi in the moment I do this check?

Maybe CDMAInfo.getESN() will return invalid value in GSM Devices (?  i'll test it anyway)

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

a cdma device will usually return no IMEI, and a gprs device no ESN
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter