Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How to make Screen Transistion effect in blackberry application?

I want to make slide transition effect in my blackberry application from navigating one screen to another screen.But when i collect information regarding this i can know that this effect only possible with 5.0 version.Is there any way to achieve this effect in lower version.

Highlighted
Developer

Re: How to make Screen Transistion effect in blackberry application?

[ Edited ]

At one of the talks at the Developer Conference this year RIM employees demonstrated the following interesting approach to generating screen transitions without the need for v5.0.0 OS.

Assume you need to transition from screen A to screen B. Screen A is on the display stack, whereas screen B is not. You push screen B onto the display stack, then immediately push screen C onto the display stack. Screen C is a composite screen that is initiated with references to screens A and B. Screen C has no controls, it simply reimplements the paint method. Screen C's paint method receives a Graphics instance from the OS, then invokes screen A's paint method and screen B's paint method superimposing their output on to the Graphics object (of screen C). All you need to do is periodically repaint (timer or invokeLater with recurrence parameters) screen C while changing the mixture between A and B. Once the transition is finished (by which time screen C will look exactly like screen B), screen C is popped off the display stack thus leaving the actual screen B on the stack.

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to make Screen Transition effect in blackberry application?

That is a very neat little trick, since it was a talk done by RIM and not a partner I wonder if that is something similar to what they abstracted and made as separate functions in 5.0.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer

I asked one of the presenters this question and was told they were a different department and had nothing to do with the OS 5.0 transition development.  So he didn't know how the OS 5.0 transition processing was done.

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Understandable, still I find that an interesting way of doing transitions.

Three simple rules:
New Developer

At the time, RIM presenters had said they were going to release the code for several transition effects.  Has anyone found these online ?

Developer

Downloadable from the Session Catalog.  You will need to log back in to the DevCon  Web site, get the Session catalog up and you can see it there.

Sorry I can't give the exact procedure, seems I go in a different way each time. 

New Developer

For those of you who attended the DevCon2009 or otherwise have been granted access to the materials, the source code for some of the animations can be found here. It needs a username/password given to registered attendees.

http://www.blackberrydeveloperconference.net/2009/published/sessions/DEV14/DEV14_Source_Files.zip

(It is 20MB+ file as it has some videos)

The license is fairly restrictive, so dont want to post the animation code here. The transitions code itself is only ~50KB.

Someone from RIM can post the code if they like.

Developer

Are you sure? I didn't go to Developer Conference and was able to download it. You might have circumscribed the login requirement by posting the link.

Also the license is the same as the one they use for the samples that come with the JDE and Eclipse plug-in. It simply states that the sample doesn't use resources which are recommended and that it is for demonstration purposes and might not be complete or error free. At least that's how I interpret the license.

I'm not sure if I got access to this correctly or if I'm not supposed to have this. Either way, thanks.

Three simple rules: