Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How to set icon for your application?

Ok,,i look your JAD file.,and that's no problem,,

i suggest u to try use netbeans IDE.,honestly.,i stuck with JDE blackberry.,no effective and more complex if i compare with netbeans.,

Highlighted
New Developer

oh thanks. And I will try it in Netbeans later.

But another question, do I need to request signing the RIM API if I use Netbeans?

And how can I make the project to auto startup?

Thanks again!

Developer

If u use netbeans.First you need add "Java Platform" in your netbeans.,

Add Java Platform And select "Custom Java ME MIDP Platform Emulator" and fill Platform Home with directory "Blackberry JDE"..For example : Fill platform home with "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.5.0" if u use JDE 4.5.0.,and fill device name with "8310" if u want to use 8310 for your emulator..

And in bootsrap libraries delete all except "net_rim_api.jar".,

That's the way to sign RIM API in netbeans., Smiley Wink

Developer

In case anyone else has this problem, I found the root cause -

Project -> Properties -> Application -> Name of main MIDlet class

since I moved my main midlet class to a more sensible sub folder location within my project, I had previously just left this field blank (otherwise when starting the midlet you get an uncaught exception without any information as to what happened).

If you make sure that this class path matches the path of your actual MIDlet main class, then it picks up the app icon ok again. For instance I had to set mine to:

com.mycompany.myproject.MyMidletClass

Thanks,

Mark

New Developer

Now, Name of main MIDlet class is another related subject. I have my app icon under ./res/icon.png and java under ./src/*.java. I have 2 problems like other folks and not sure if they are related:

1) set icon.png to be application icon. It's shown in myproject.jad file as MIDlet-icon: icon.png but on simulator as well as real device (8310), it's an ugly, black, stock icon (a file or something)

2) set Name of main MIDlet class to whatever (true name; i.e MenuMIDlet, fake name Dog, etc.) the app always run on simulator as well as real device. Somehow it detects my MenuMIDlet class name and runs it. The only problem is that this MenuMIDlet name is shown associated with the stock icon. 

I don't create any java package nor fancy sub directories. So, not sure what is the right way to set Name of main MIDlet class with my ./src structure.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

It sounds like updates to the project are not taking place.  Please verify that the project is active and then to a clean and build on the project.  All these options are available by right clicking on the project in the BlackBerry JDE.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

I did clean rebuild the project several times. To confirm it on the real device, I also commented out some features and tested on the device. Could it be a bug in BB IDE v 4.3.0.1r ? To sumarize:

a) Vendor name does not go out to jad.

b) Version does not go out to jad

b) Icon goes to jad but does not show on 8310

c) How to set the Name of the main MIDlet class in the env where images are under./res and source files are under ./src?

Thanks,

Is the jad file added to your project?  If so, it should not be updated by the BlackBerry JDE.  If not you can delete the jad file to force it to be recreated.

I'm not sure what you mean in c.  The format should be the same regardless of the location of the class.  The format is packagename.classname.
Mark Sohm

New Developer

I believe the file was created by BB IDE when I first created the project, I think. It's at ./res/myproject.jad. For every build, I checked the timestamp and it's always updated. I just did a simple test; removing it and rebuild again. The build failed due to missing jad. Then, I put the jad file back which I modified manually on 2 fields for our deployment sake; Version and Vendor name (changed 0.0 to 1.0 and <unknown> to company name). Interestingly, the build failed again due to the mismatched values !!! It insists on version 0.0 and no vendor name even though I explitcilty set in Project->Properties->General. I had to modify the value back to 0.0 and <unknown> then the build passed. 

Re the name of the main MIDlet, since we don't use package, I suppose it should be as simple as our class name; i.e. MenuMIDlet. Somehow this class name is set to be our application name associated with default icon, not our project name and our own icon. I like BB IDE because it's simple and intuitive. However, there are so many mysteries and I wonder if many people out there are still using it or prefer a diff IDE ? I tried the BB plug-in with Eclipse but got into so many problems of upgrading and gave up. However, at this point, I am able to build the app (w/ some tweaks), launch it in the simulator, and download over the air, and run on real BB. The naming and icon are not pretty but I am quite happy at this point.

Note that you can change the version and company name in the JAD file after the project is built (before deploying to a web server).  This may be a work around for the issue you are seeing.
Mark Sohm