Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: 7250
My Carrier: Bell

How to show/hide my custom menu item according to the context message type?

Hi there,

I am currently required to show/hide my custom menu item according to the type of context message in the message list. For example, if current selected message is email, menu item "Process Email" will show up and menu item "Process SMS" will be hidden, vice versa. I want to know if it's possible to do it.

Thanks,

bbcute

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How to show/hide my custom menu item according to the context message type?

[ Edited ]

This question has been asked before, and from memory and from my own experience, what you ask is not possible.

However the 'getString()' method is called during the menu creation, so I believe some people attempt to find the current screen and do some analysis of that, but I've never tried that and I'm not sure either how successful that would be or how OS dependent your code would become.

Edit: as pointed out below, getString does not exist in ApplicationMenuItem.  I mean toString().

New Developer
My Device: 7250
My Carrier: Bell

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply,

I am still not clear which class' 'getString()' method is called during the menu creation. I am using custom menu class drive from 'net.rim.blackberry.api.menuitem.ApplicationMenuItem' class, which has no this method. Maybe we are not in the same page.

Sincerely,

bbcute

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Apologies, shouldn't do these things from memory, I meant

toString()

when I said

getString()

Does that clear up the confusion?