Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How widespread is WAP2?

[ Edited ]

Hoping to get opinions on this issue. I have a program that does everything offline, but I want it to be able to check for updates via a very simple http GET request to our server. I have this working via WAP2 and WiFi and I'm wondering if people think this will cover just about everyone?

I'm targeting OS 4.2.0 and later. Just trying to keep this solution simple and avoid MDS and BIS since this is a very simple and offline application, except for the update check.

Thanks for your feedback!

Nicholas

Message Edited by nmaddix on 05-05-2009 05:07 PM
Developer

Re: How widespread is WAP2?

In my experience, WAP2 is not universally implemented by carriers.

I think you will need a fall back, either direct TCP (with APN entry) or WAP1.1 (WAP gateway entry)

Developer

[ Edited ]

Ok that's bad news... Well I've been reading about and experimenting with Direct TCP and it seems most phones dont come with the APN set up. If this was a network application it would be ok to ask the customer to set it up but not for simple update checking!

WAP1.1 is a little more mysterious to me. It seems like something the customer would have to set up. Is that correct? Looks to me like my application needs to be told the gateway settings before it can connect, and again asking the user to figure that out is a no-no.

So how do apps like Google Maps connect without the APN set? I assumed they use WAP2.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Message Edited by nmaddix on 05-05-2009 07:16 PM
Developer

Most commercial apps (I'm speaking from my own experience here) detect and use BES (if available), then BIS-B.

Using BES and BIS-B, you can cover just about any phone in N.A.

BIS-B support is only open to alliance members, but you can detect and use BES in your app. Problem is, BES only covers your corporate network customers (not consumer plans).

I would suggest that you detect your 5 most likely networks, and code the APN and/or WAP gateway info for these into your app. We still have this code in our apps even though we moved to BIS, since there are still networks outside of N.A. where you cannot get to BIS.

As a fall back, we still support the "Enter WAP info" manually for those guys on strange networks. 

FWIW, here is a parial listing of APN's for some common carriers:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Carrier_specific_APN/TCP_settings

Developer

Great, you have no idea how helpful this is for me as a best practice. When you refer to detecting and using BES, is that the same as MDS? I'm a bit confused there, sorry. Most of my education comes from the Network Diagnostics tool in the KB

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

This shows the following methods:

Direct TCP

MDS

BIS-B

WAP
WAP2

WiFi

Unite

Thanks,

Nicholas

Developer

BES/MDS go together. BES is the enterprise server component.

Developer

Gotcha, that's what I figured you meant. Well I think I have enough to go on here. Working on a solution now. Only thing I haven't found yet is a list of common carrier WAP gateway info. Lots of Direct TCP APN info out there but I don't see much WAP. I wonder if someone out there would mind passing on what they use.