Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

HttpsConnection through BES

Hi,

I'm trying to create an application that uses httpsconnection but I want it to connect through BES but I get an error on the device saying connection error or refused I don't remember.

And it works just fine on the simulator.

The application is a MIDlet application.

is there something I have to do to make this work through BES?

Thanks

Developer

Re: HttpsConnection through BES

"saying connection error or refused I don't remember"

Sorry without this error we can't really help.  There are a variety of possible problems, knowing the error will cut this down.

However if I was to guess, I would look first at the permissions for the device.  Make sure you are allowed to connect and reset the Firewall.

Developer

Ok, but is it possible that the provider does not give access to third party applications?

The provider (Qtel) gives a BES access I believe because the user can connect to the internet without connecting to GPRS.

Thanks

Developer

"the user can connect to the internet without connecting to GPRS" - interesting.  in the UK that would mean that the user did not have a wireless connection, so the only way to connect would be via WiFi.  And with WiFi only they would not be able to connect to their BES.

Have you reviewed the sticky Thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&thread.id=29103

"Is it possible that the provider does not give access to third party applications"  Not directly.  The device will either have a connection or it will not.  There are however many different types of connection, so some applications using one type of connection will work while others, using another type of connection will not.  Please review the sticky Thread for more.

Developer

[ Edited ]

I suspect "illiayassa" is trying to say that the user can connect without going through Direct TCP.

P.S. It is possible to connect via the BES without having the celllar interface active (however, the SIM needs to be accessible). The connection can go via WiFi or via USB/Bluetooth (aka serial bypass via the host PC's network interface, a feature of BlackBerry Device Manager).

Message Edited by klyubin on 12-10-2009 05:11 AM
Developer

Thank you klyubin, that's what I meant. Sorry I am a newbie in Blackberry an I don't have a Blackberry device yet.

I would like to know it it is possible to know if a Blackberry device is connecting through BES an how please.

Thanks.

Actually, we have a MIDlet application for our costumers and it works with other phones but in a Blackberry device it couldn't connect to the server. And I am assuming that the problem is related to BES which is probably wrong.

Thanks.

Developer

In this case, have a look at the sticky thread that peter_strange has referenced in his last post in this thread.

P.S. You cannot tell whether the device is connecting through the BES. The device can open many connections via different transports. What you can tell, for example, is whether your application can connect through BES (CoverageInfo class).

Developer

[ Edited ]

the error is java.io.IOExeption: Invalid url parameter

klyubin, how can i use the class you mentioned please? 

Message Edited by illiayassa on 10-12-2009 10:53 AM
Message Edited by illiayassa on 10-12-2009 10:54 AM
Highlighted
Developer

I suggest that you mark this Thread as solved, since this is NOT a BES problem, and the invalid URL is problem you are chasing on this Thread:

java.io.IOExeption: Invalid url parameter
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&thread.id=65868

Further discussion of the problem should be on that Thread.