Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I give up. Been stuck for 3 mos. I'm willing to pay $100 to anyone that can tell me how to do this

I need to launch the file explorer (media player) from my app. I don't need to extract any data from it or interact with it. I just need to run it.
I've tried several ways including the following:

try {
int moduleHandle = CodeModuleManager.getModuleHandle ("net_rim_bb_file_explorer")
ApplicationDescriptor[] apDes = CodeModuleManager.getApplicationDescriptors(moduleHandle);
ApplicationManager.getApplicationManager().runApplication(apDes[1]);
}
catch (ApplicationManagerException e) {}

I've tried changing the apDes[1] to apDes[0].

I've also tried using applicationManager.launch() and while that seems to sort of start the fileexplorer as i can see it in the task switch list you can not select it in this list or bring it to the foreground or anything. you just see the icon in the list.

I've tried all these methods on 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 but nothing is working for me. I've searched this forum a thousand times looking for the answer. I've posted several requests but nothing

So now I am offering $100 USD to anyone, including RIM emloyees, that can show me the secret to invoking the file explorer. i can pay by paypal, check, credit card, cash whatever. I'm desperate now and I need the answer.

Anyone want a hundred bucks?

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: I give up. Been stuck for 3 mos. I'm willing to pay $100 to anyone that can tell me how to do th

[ Edited ]

Do you want to open "bare" file explorer (see Bare.png image below) ?

Or it is enough to open "Rich" media explorer like is shown below on picture (Pictures.png) ?

To open bare file explorer from media explorer a user needs to open menu over an icon and select "Explore"(see picture below: Pictures-Menu.png)

Message Edited by tbilisoft on 06-03-2009 07:30 AM
Developer

Re: I give up. Been stuck for 3 mos. I'm willing to pay $100 to anyone that can tell me how to do th

[ Edited ]
I am looking for the rich media explorer.
The bare explorer would be nice too but the $100 is for the rich media explorer. I know i know.. but I'm desperate.

Do you know how to do these?
Pleeeease say yes!

Thanks.
Message Edited by Cheetah on 03-06-2009 03:39 AM
Message Edited by Cheetah on 03-06-2009 03:45 AM
Highlighted
Developer

Check the code below.

It runs for me.

int handle = CodeModuleManager .getModuleHandle("net_rim_bb_file_explorer"); if (handle <= 0) { System.out.println("HANDLE IS INVALID"); return; } ApplicationDescriptor[] appDescriptors = CodeModuleManager .getApplicationDescriptors(handle); if ((appDescriptors==null) || (appDescriptors.length == 0)) { System.out.println("App descriptors are missing"); return; } String[] args = {"", "" }; ApplicationDescriptor descriptor = new ApplicationDescriptor( appDescriptors[0], "File explorer", args, null, -1, null, -1, ApplicationDescriptor.FLAG_SYSTEM); try { ApplicationManager.getApplicationManager().runApplication(descriptor); } catch (ApplicationManagerException e) { System.out.println("App cannot be launched"); System.out.println(e.getMessage()); return; }

Does it work for you ?

Developer

Unfortunately no. Darrrrnnnnn..... that code looks good too. I got all excited.

What it does is the same thing that applicationManager.launch() does. The media icon appears in the task list but you can't select the icon or bring the media player (file explorer) to the foreground.

does this code work for you?
Developer

i just noticed that you said it works for you. hmm....
so this code when run from your app will invoke the file explorer and you are able to close your app and the media player is still there?

Developer

From what kind of structure / mechanism are you calling this code from? A thread? a runnable? from a constructor?
Developer

Media icon appears in "Switch application popup" and it is possible to switch to another app and after that switch to Media explorer again.

If I close the "parent" application which invoked Media Explorer - then Media Explorer will remain opened.

It is because Media Explorer is a separate independent application, it is not "child" dialog box according to your application to be closed too.

Like in Windows you have used exec() command and launched some *.exe file.

When parent application closed, the child application will remain. It is another process, which is not tied to the parent app.

Developer

I call this code from menu item.
Developer

[ Edited ]
i'm going to try to put it in a menu item now and see.....
Message Edited by Cheetah on 03-06-2009 04:36 AM