Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I need help with an issue I may be facing...

I'm programming under 4.7.0 for the default release for the Storm.

For simplicity sake, lets say that my app is a kind of paint program. I want to have a working space for the image to be bigger than the screen. Normally, thats not a problem. I just create a BitmapField that is of the desired resolution and whats on the screen will be displayed a viewport into that image that will be automatically scrollable around the entire bitmap area.

Now, what I'd like to be able to do is display a toolbar at the bottom of the screen. This would be a ToolbarField with Image Button Fields inside it.

Now, is it possible to render one field on top of another????

Or how would I implement this given that I want the BitmapField to fill the screen.

Would I have to change the BitmapField size to a new height and render the toolbar field below it, leaving the actual bitmap the same size so within that smaller viewport it'll still move around the Bitmap Space.

I'd prefer to be able to render the toobar OVER the bitmap as I'd like to alpha the toobar background over the image and leave the buttons opaque (for a coolness effect).

Please let me know your opinions or ideas.

Thank you very much in advance.

-Donald

Developer
Developer

Re: I need help with an issue I may be facing...

What you are trying to do is doable.

One easy way to do it is to display the tool bar in the status bar. This way the main screen will manage the tool bar. You do not have to do anything.

The second option is to use two customized  fieldManagers, one for the bit map and the other for the toolBar ( horizontalManager). In this case you need to add code to set the position and extent of each manager. The BitMap one will be scrollable and the toolBar one will have a fixed position and non-scrollable.

Rab

Developer

Re: I need help with an issue I may be facing...

Actually, I was thinking it might be cool to make the toolbar scrollable to save on screenspace to access more tools.....like have the icons on the end be arrows, but I can handle that by just moving the image buttons around.

I think the status part sounds easier and someone else mentioned that to me on a different problem. I'll have to look at that some more.

Thanks

-Donald