Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Idea for standard Blackberry browser

Hey folks. Where is the right place if you want to submit ideas for a standard app? Just reading about the new Torch and hope it does well. Since browsing used to be an issue, I thought I'd submit an idea.

Might as well put it in this post. Smartphones will always be small, and web pages are mainly for full sized computers (mobile sites right now are very basic). Even on landscape mode, when you  are zoomed in enough to read the web page's text, the page is around 2-3 times the width of the screen. Maddening, trying to read text and swiping right and left.

This is the idea- hold down the trackpad, and the browser shifts instantly to the left edge. Let go, and it is immediately back at the center. Double-click, and it shifts right. Let go and it is in the centre.

Combine this with your right index finger scrolling up and down with the touchscreen, and give it time to get used to it, and browsing is much nicer! It doesn't matter that the Torch's screen is a little small.

For practical reasons, the user has to select 'shift' mode in a menu for it to work (press S on the keyboard?). Then when you are skilled at it, you have the whole large web page at your fingertips. I would use this feature.

My idea might need some work- input, anyone? RIM would you consider putting this on a wishlist?

Justin D.

P.s. IMHO the Torch is akin to an iPhone 3G, in that after a zoom or scroll, it doesn't respond instantly like a 3GS. A faster Torch would remedy this. Other than possibly the resolution, the only thing remaining is the download speed at the BIS servers being limited to 3600 kbps for most customers (in my country at least) whereas it is capable of twice that Smiley Happy

Developer

Re: Idea for standard Blackberry browser

Developer

Re: Idea for standard Blackberry browser

I did post this about three weeks ago, waiting for opinions.