Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Impossible to combine GlobalEventListener and PhoneListener

"The only reason for the globaleventcode is to communicate information to the phonelistener. The application in question is running on symbian where internal TCP communication is used as the communication vehicle.

If there is an alternative way of sending commands to and receiving information from a running phonelistener I would like to know how"

I presume this is 'configuration' type information.  A Phone Listener is not running.  It is driven by events (but not GlobalEventsSmiley Happy).  When these events occur, the Phone Listener can do whatever it likes.  It can, for example, check a shared class and determine what needs to be done - this shared class could be in RuntimeStore which can be updated independently.  So you can do what you want to do without combining the implementations by 'communicating through RuntimeStore. 

In your circumstances, I would look to fire a GlobalEvent from the Listener, and process that GlobalEvent in your own Application process (not your own Application class).  Then your Application does not have to tell the Listener anything and you run as little code as possible in the Phone Application Process. 

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Movistar, Telenor

OK, thanks (and cudoed) Peter,

Tested the globalevent sending from Phonelistener and thats OK. So its possible to combine globalevents and

phonelistener in one direction  :-)

Will use runtimestore or maybe RMS RecordStore the other way

If everything seems to be under control, you're just not driving fast enough
-Mario Andretti-
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

"Will use runtimestore or maybe RMS RecordStore the other way"

Don't forget you can use PersistentStore too, if you need the 'configuration' data to be permanent.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Movistar, Telenor

Yes, thanks

If everything seems to be under control, you're just not driving fast enough
-Mario Andretti-