Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Include XML file with OTA download

Is it possible to include a generated XML file with an OTA download?  I'm writing an app that will be distributed with an accompanying web app.  It is to be deployed to individual sites, each with it's own public address, config settings, etc.  The config will be specified through the web app setup and then saved (and later edited/updated) as XML in the same location as the compiled jad/cod files.  This will eliminate the need for the end-user to specify the public address of the web application as well as providing default config settings.  This will all be over BIS and HTTPS.  I'm not expecting BES as the target users will be individuals and small businesses.  I'll be providing the source if they want to make modifications, but I don't want to require the end-user to compile just to use it "out of the box", not to mention the different OS versions, and compiled updates I will distribute for bugs/feature updates.  Also, it will access some restricted APIs and they will need to sign.

If there's another method to accomplish this, I'm completely open and still in the initial feature list/design stages on the BB side.

Thanks,

Traigo

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Include XML file with OTA download

you can use custom attributes in a jad file to delvier some data to an app (only on OTA of course).

i would suggest that you publish the address of the xml file and your app can download it after installation.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Here's the problem with that from the RIM docs

However, the custom JAD file attributes must be added to the JAD file before build time and cannot be modified after the application has been built.

It will be distributed with the web app and up to the end-user to connect the blackberry app to where ever they deploy the web app.  I'm just looking to make things a little easier  for them.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

ok, i wasn't aware of this limitation (i usually code for bes Smiley Happy )

other ideas would be:

- configure the application per mail/sms (or similar), implement a listener for this.

- use a common server and decide at runtime which config to use (by mail domain, for example)

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

It will be listening for email anyway.  The app sends updates through email to the blackberry rather than using push.  It'll just be an extra step.  Download app, login to web app and send email to your BB.