Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Pearl 8120
Accepted Solution

Install/test app on newer simulators after building with older SDK?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to build an application that is compatible to version 4.3.0 of the JDE, but test that application on as many newer devices (Curve, Bold, Storm, etc.) as possible.

I use Eclipse as my IDE.

My path has been:

- Build and sign the application in Eclipse after changing the Installed Components (Window > Preferences > Blackberry JDE > Installed Components) to 4.3.0.

- Change Installed Components to a later JDE (e.g. 4.7.0)

- Do NOT rebuild after making the change

- Run the debugger for a 4.7.0-compatible device (e.g. Storm).

However, after conducting these steps, I cannot find the application in the simulator in the Downloads folder or elsewhere.

Are these steps correct?

Or, do I need to do something else to actually install the application in the simulator?

Thank you,

J

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Install/test app on newer simulators after building with older SDK?

Rather than using the Simulators provided by the JDE or Components, we generally test using the standalone Simulators.  For these, the easiest thing to do is to copy the cod files into the SImulator directory, delete the *.dmp files and then restart the simulator.

We using the JDE, and I presume Eclipse, you need to actually 'build' the application to get the JDE to copy the associated files into the Simulator directory.  This is not happening for you, which is why you don't see your applications.  Of course you could manually copy the cod files to the Simulator directory normally used by the JDE/Component Pack, then it would be found at the next restart.

Note that you must manually remove cods you manually add, and delete the *.dmp files to take an application out of a simulator.

Hope this makes sense.

New Developer

I like this approach, however the first tries have been unsuccessful.

I downloaded an 8900 simulator and installed it.

I copied my .cod file to the <simulator directory>\Java folder, where all the other .cod files are

I deleted *.dmp from the <simulator directory>.

I ran the simulator.

I could not find my application on the home screen, in Applications, or in Downloads.  And it does not appear in Options > Advanced Options > Applications.

Is there something I am missing to this?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Try the base directory, not the java directory.
New Developer

That did it.  And I now have simplified the testing process with some scripts.  Thanks!