Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Installing OS5 and OS7 SDKs on mac?

I am currently doing my BB development using the BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse Beta for Mac OS X, which comes with SDK 6.0 pre-installed. This is working pretty well for me so far - have always tended to debug on device anyway.

I would now like to install some of the other SDKs (esp 5 and 7) and all the information about doing that I can see ends up pointing me towards:

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/javaappdev/javaupdate.jsp

... which doesn't mention Mac at all as a supported platform.

I gave the update site listed on that page a try but it failed with:

-

Unable to read repository at http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.6/java/content.xml.
Unable to read repository at http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.6/java/content.xml.
Unable to locate secure storage module (org.eclipse.equinox.security.windowspasswordprovider).

-

... which suggests the update site has some nasty windows specific dependencies.

Does this mean I am being dumb and have missed some Mac specific instructions somewhere, or is the plugin update windows only so far and I am stuck with OS6 only for now on Mac?

Geoff.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Limited Edition
My Carrier: TIM - Italy

Re: Installing OS5 and OS7 SDKs on mac?

Hi Geoff,

I'm reached to install on mac every version available.

Go on "Install new Software"  under Help menu in Eclipse and add

"http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.6/java" as repository.

Luca

New Contributor

That's exactly what I tried to do. The update site fails with:

org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.ProvisionException: Unable to read repository at http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.6/java/content.xml.
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.CacheManager.createCache(CacheManager.java:189)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.SimpleMetadataRepositoryFactory.getLocalFile(SimpleMetadataRepositoryFactory.java:66)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.SimpleMetadataRepositoryFactory.load(SimpleMetadataRepositoryFactory.java:88)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.factoryLoad(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:57)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.loadRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:746)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.helpers.AbstractRepositoryManager.loadRepository(AbstractRepositoryManager.java:651)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.loadRepository(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:96)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.metadata.repository.MetadataRepositoryManager.loadRepository(MetadataRepositoryManager.java:92)
at org.eclipse.equinox.p2.ui.ProvisioningUI.loadMetadataRepository(ProvisioningUI.java:388)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.MetadataRepositoryElement.getMetadataRepository(MetadataRepositoryElement.java:120)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.MetadataRepositoryElement.getRepository(MetadataRepositoryElement.java:109)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.MetadataRepositoryElement.getQueryable(MetadataRepositoryElement.java:103)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.QueryProvider.getQueryDescriptor(QueryProvider.java:54)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.QueriedElement.fetchChildren(QueriedElement.java:102)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.MetadataRepositoryElement.fetchChildren(MetadataRepositoryElement.java:72)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.ui.model.RemoteQueriedElement.fetchDeferredChildren(RemoteQueriedElement.java:34)
at org.eclipse.ui.progress.DeferredTreeContentManager$1.run(DeferredTreeContentManager.java:235)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)
Caused by: org.eclipse.equinox.security.storage.StorageException: Unable to locate secure storage module (org.eclipse.equinox.security.windowspasswordprovider).
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.security.storage.PasswordProviderSelector.findStorageModule(PasswordProviderSelector.java:190)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.security.storage.SecurePreferencesRoot.getModulePassword(SecurePreferencesRoot.java:231)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.security.storage.SecurePreferencesRoot.getPassword(SecurePreferencesRoot.java:224)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.security.storage.SecurePreferences.get(SecurePreferences.java:262)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.security.storage.SecurePreferencesWrapper.get(SecurePreferencesWrapper.java:106)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.Credentials.forLocation(Credentials.java:159)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.RepositoryTransport.getLastModified(RepositoryTransport.java:220)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.repository.CacheManager.createCache(CacheManager.java:169)
... 17 more

Geoff.

Contributor

for me it works , but I did sniff protocol between eclipse and update site and I discover that repository was moved.

Eclipse however reaches new repository that was moved.

Try to use http://www.blackberry.com/developers/jar/3.6/java/ as update site and let me know something.

Luca

New Contributor

I still get the same error with that URL.

Looking at the exception trace it looks to be some sort of authentication issue but I don't know enough about the Eclipse authenticated site handling to comment further.

Geoff.

Contributor

Perhaps I found a workround.

Go with your browser on  http://www.blackberry.com/developers/jar/3.6/java/content.jar

download content.jar on your desktop (or other folder )

extract content.xml from content.jar on your desktop (or other folder)

go on "install new software" on Eclipse and click ADD and then click "local"

browse your folder where you have downloaded content.xml

it works too for me.

regards

Luca

New Contributor

Was a good thought and def worth a try but unfortunately breaks at the point I try to install an SDK with:

--

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context wasSmiley Sadprofile=SDKProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
No repository found containing: osgi.bundle,net.rim.ejde.componentpack7.0.0,7.0.0.21
No repository found containing: org.eclipse.update.feature,net.rim.ejde.feature.componentpack7.0.0,7.0.0.21

--

Suspect to make that work I would need to download the actual SDK packages too - will give that a try later on.

Geoff

Contributor

Surely you have some network problem with this site.

I have updated all version just now from a mac.

New Contributor

Same symptom across multiple network connections and locations so not a connectivity issue of any sort.

Errors suggest some issue with my eclipse setup and the authentication setup on the BB update site.

Perhaps somebody from RIM can suggest what the errors mean?,

Geoff.

New Contributor

No reply on this thread from anybody at RIM unfortunately :-<!

I have since tried a completely clean install of the Eclipse plugin package - freshly downloaded from Blackberry Developer - and tried to visit the update site but have got the same error. Looking at the depths of the error trace I see:

Caused by: org.eclipse.equinox.security.storage.StorageException: Unable to locate secure storage module (org.eclipse.equinox.security.windowspasswordprovider).

... which makes me think there might be a dependency missing?

Geoff.