Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: -

Installing from alx causes device to lock up for ten minutes

When I install my application onto the various 9900 devices we have in the company (various firmware versions, for example 7.1.0.714 / bundle 2061 - O2 UK branded), the Desktop Software (7.1.0.41 currently, but this has been happening for some time) decides to also install a large number of apparently large sized net_rim_bb_medialoader_* files at the same time.

Once the installation has completed (with or without reboot), the BlackBerry devices are then so laggy as to be virtually unusable for about ten minutes. The application has not been run.

Inspection of the event log suggests the device spends this time deleting the various net_rim_bb_medialoader files which have just been installed.

Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Installing from alx causes device to lock up for ten minutes

welcome to the support forums.

you should be able to select/unselect things you want to install (or not).

you can also use javaloader to install stuff directly (with jad/cod, for example) if you are unable to deselect those things, for whatever reason.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor

Thank you Simon, and thanks for the welcome.

I should probably have said: I have not selected anything other than the app I want to install, nor is anything else selected automatically (so there is no chance of unselecting it).

I will investigate javaloader but I wanted to give my colleagues an easy way to install the app - it's a lot of CODs...

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Can you show us the alx that you are using?

Can I suggest that you try a simple app, like Hello world, to see if in fact the update is related to your application or to the install process in general?

New Contributor

Thanks Peter.

The same thing happens with a Hello World app (using the default code from 'New BlackBerry Project...' in the Eclipse PlugIn) and the default ALX which that creates.

<loader version="1.0">
	<application id="HelloWorld">
		<name >
			Hello
		</name>
		<description >

</description>
		<version >
		</version>
		<vendor >
			BlackBerry Developer
		</vendor>
		<copyright >
			Copyright (c) 2013 BlackBerry Developer
		</copyright>
		<fileset Java="1.54" _blackberryVersion="[6.0.0)">
			<directory >
			</directory>
			<files >
				HelloWorld.cod

</files>

</fileset>

</application>

</loader>

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

That all looks OK.  Looks like something else in DTM is triggering the update.  Sorry I have no idea what this could be.

BTW, I normally make downloads available OTA, on a web site, and provide the users with a URL.  That way you can do send your users an email and they have to do nothing but click on the link when displaying the email on their BlackBerry.  I think that is a load easier than DTM.