Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Invalid zip file format trying to add 4.7.0 components to eclipse.

[ Edited ]

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed  
Error closing the output stream for net.rim.eide.feature.componentpack4.7.0/org.eclipse.update.feature/4.7.0.46 on repository file:/C:/Java/Blackberry/.   
Error unzipping C:\Users\THIRD_~1\AppData\Local\Temp\net.rim.eide.feature.componentpack4.7.0_4.7.0.464570201931200258032.jar: Invalid zip file format

- This is a Vista 64 machine.

- I have jre6 (1.6.0_17-b04) and jdk1.6.0_17 installed in c:\java\...

- I installed BlackBerry_JDE_PluginFull_1.0.0.67.exe to c:\java\Blackberry

I then ran Eclipse from c:\java\Blackberry and ran Help, Install (not the update option, the install one) and pointed it at http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate and selected component pack 5.0.0 and clicked install.  This installed fine, and when completed asked me to restart eclipse.

I then went back to Help, Software Updates (install option has disappeared now for some reason) and this time tried to install component pack 4.7.0 but it just errors with the above error.

Any ideas? 

Developer

Re: Invalid zip file format trying to add 4.7.0 components to eclipse.

RIM's servers are sometimes too busy to do the update directly.  I always download the component pack -- download managers can handle the iffy connection better -- then update from the downloaded archive.  Details here.

Caveat: I don't use either Vista or 64-bit, so my comment may be totally irrelevant.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Having the exact same problem on a XP machine.

Even when I download the component packs, add them as a site, and install them, 4.3.0 and 4.6.0 did install correctly but 4.6.1 and 4.7.0 will not install, giving the error:  

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
  Error closing the output stream for net.rim.eide.feature.componentpack4.7.0/org.eclipse.update.feature/4.7.0.46 on repository file:/C:/Program Files/BlackBerry.Eclipse/. 
  Error unzipping C:\DOCUME~1\adf\LOCALS~1\Temp\net.rim.eide.feature.componentpack4.7.0_4.7.0.4664440.jar: Invalid zip file format

I have checked the ZIP file and JAR files within the ZIP file using 7zip and they seem fine.  The file it's complaining about is zero length, so it hasn't even started to extract the data from the ZIP file.  I have 3 separate downloads of 4.7.0 so I don't believe its a corrupt archive.  Got plenty of free disk space, so that's not it.  Disabled my virus scanner, the problem remains the same.

I have been at this for 3 days now and no closer to getting the IDE+component version I want installed.

Is it possible to hand install these component packs?

Also I was really after 5.0.0 component pack but that doesn't appear to be available as a ZIP download.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Sigh.... checking configure blackberry workspace, Blackberry JDE, installed components, still only lists JDE component package 4.5.0, so none of the other installs seem to have worked.

Developer

Are you quite sure that the software update is not trying to get something from the BB site?  That 0-length zip file sounds awfully familiar.  You have to tell eclipse to use your zip file as an update site (Add Site... --> Archive...), and you have to make sure it doesn't look anywhere else -- click Manage Sites... and uncheck, or better yet, remove any other BB update sites.

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange

I had the zero-length JAR problem and fixed it by running Eclipse as Administrator - had to redownload the component files but it installed correctly.  I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Dan

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell

Got it working.

My automatic install gave me the same error.

Downloaded the component and pointed software update to the "Archive" - same error.

Unzipped zip file and pointed software update to Local - it works.

Developer

HI,

Where did you find the component pack ZIP files?

I could find only component packs EXE files

Developer

Yes, please I cannot find the correct ZIP file for Component Pack 5.0!