Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Invoking OMA DRM 1.0 forward-locking process

I have produced OMA forward-locked content for the BlackBerry (playing around with a couple of pearls, a flip, a bold, and a storm).  When I host it on a web server and download it, either with the built in browser or with some fancier ones like Opera, the BlackBerry will process it - extract the protected content and apply encryption (turns it into a .rem file). 

My basic question is: is there a way to do this programmically through the Java API or any API by an app on the phone?  This assumes that the app has access to the pre-processing forward-locked content (.dm file).

Additional questions relevant to my situation that may or may not get answered:

1) What actually does the processing in the case I described above? Is it the browser? And why/how does Opera manage to do this?

2) Can this be triggered manually?  E.g. insert an SD card with the pre-process forward-locked content (.dm file) and ask BB to process it, both to apply the drm and to allow the content to be then played?

3) Can the processing be triggered through the USB connection? I guess this boils down to: can the Desktop Manager do this? And if so, would the functionality be available to a Desktop Manager extension, or maybe exposed through the Device Manager?  Are there any documentation for this?

Thank you for your time.