Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9550
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Is BES always required?

[ Edited ]

for the enterprise application, is it that blackberry enterprise server always required?

if yes, why it is required?

if no, why ?

Swapnil G.
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Is BES always required?

the correct answer to your question would be: it depends

bes offers you access to the local network, a special push service, ldap-lookup, secure connections and some more. it depends on the target of your application if you need this.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Just adding to Simon's answer, as a third party application developer, typically you can't dictate whether there is or is not a BES in use.  The company will decide that.  If the BES is in use, then the Blackberry Administrators may force you to use it, in other words, you may not be allowed to access network resources except through the BES/MDS. 

I've yet to see a corporate user that just had BIS devices - the integration of Exchange/Notes and BlackBerry is significantly enhanced using a BES.  With the new free BES, I expect even smaller Enterprises to install a BES. 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9550
My Carrier: Airtel

what if suppose i'm making the java application which is going to use internet and other stuff such as webservice? in this case according to my understanding, BES is not required? am i right?

Swapnil G.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

this is correct

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter