Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Is there any way for BlackBerry Applications to interact with a server?

Hi

We're developing an application that sends some data to specific clients' blackberry phones. We wonder how we can achive this? We've heard about the Push Technology but we couldn't find any API documentations.

Thank you very much!

Developer

Re: Is there any way for BlackBerry Applications to interact with a server?

If you have de data forfeit. Try Web service !

Push message doesn't have response, web service yes.

Pascal Bourque, Analyste-Programmeur : "je pense donc je programme"
Really want to thank a user? Click the Kudos! badge on right side of the message. When you do so, you are offering a thumbs up for good content and a pat on the back to its author.
Accepted Solutions is a way for you to choose the reply that best answers a thread that you've started. To mark a message as a solution: Click the Solution? icon on the reply.
Developer

What is going to process the data once it gets to the phones?

New Developer

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your fast replies. Basically, we would like to develop something like the facebook application on blackberry.For example, you can pull your contact list from facebook through your facebook account, you can search a specific contact's phone number by using search etc. We would like to do this with minimal or no cost. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Developer

"We would like to do this with minimal or no cost."  Are you serious?

You have to build a robust backend, develop web pages to manage this, find the storage and the servers to run, plus the support organisation, then publish the API and perhaps some kind Blackberry developer will develop a front end for you.

I can't comment on the costs associated with the backend development, but to develop the BlackBerry front end on its own woud cost thousands of dollars if you paid someone to do it properly, with commented code, proper testing plans, tested on all the devices, plus support etc.etc.

Just my opinion.  Hopefully you will get some different ones.

New Developer

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply =). What I meant to say was that we already have available programmers, a web application and servers running.  We would just like to see what BlackBerry technologies and documentations are available to develop such an application with no additional costs. e.g.that the clients could use our blackberry application running on their smartphones to query our existing databases.

Thank you Peter!

New Developer

bump
Developer

"We would like to do this with minimal or no cost." No Comment ! Smiley Tongue If I'm right, you have de back end and have developers for make de frontend. If no one have work with J2me, not just java, you will bank a minimum of a month to develop something not so bad. Google is the best way to have documentation of J2me, also take a look of API reference in the Help of the JDE. Good luck,
Really want to thank a user? Click the Kudos! badge on right side of the message. When you do so, you are offering a thumbs up for good content and a pat on the back to its author.
Accepted Solutions is a way for you to choose the reply that best answers a thread that you've started. To mark a message as a solution: Click the Solution? icon on the reply.
Developer

"We would like to do this with minimal or no cost." No Comment ! Smiley Tongue If I'm right, you have de back end and have developers for make de frontend. If no one have work with J2me, not just java, you will bank a minimum of a month to develop something not so bad. Google is the best way to have documentation of J2me, also take a look of API reference in the Help of the JDE. Good luck,
Developer

[ Edited ]

OK, here is some information for you.

You could make this entirely a Web application, the latest Browser have AJAX capabilities and can get access to some of the phones 'internal' stuff (like GPS, don't know about PIM stuff, but presume so).

Given what I know, I think the biggest challenge for the Web based application will be performance - but ask the question over in the Browser Forum and see what they say!

If you want to develop a BlackBerry java app, then you need to have an API to get the data from your Web Server to the BlackBerry and back.  Options here are basically the sorts of things you can do on a TCP/IP Network, i.e. Web Services (SOAP), http services (GET/POST) and socket services.  Your choice will depend on what your backend supports.  If you are developing your backend, then I think Web Services may be the way of the future, but I think it has a very high overhead for the data carried.  I would recommend http, over socket, basically because http is much easier to set up.

To make this communication easy you might consider becoming a BlackBerry Alliance member.  I think this gives you a number of other benefits (like access to test devices), but the most important is access to the BIS-B connection service, which is the easiest service to use when communicating like this.  Sorry, I've no idea what this costs or how to get it, that is someone else's responsibility...

So that only leaves you with the UI and the integration with the PIM as the major bits of work on the BlackBerry.  The PIM integration is actually not that difficult.  However you will spend months playing with the UI on various phones trying to get it to look awesome and slick, unless you get someone who knows how to do these sorts of things.  You may have programmers, but unless they are BlackBerry Programmers, there is a learning curve to work up.

When developing an application like this, the IDE is free, the APIs you need are all documented and the documentation is free.  You will probably need to buy a signing license ($20) and some test devices (and/or use a service like deviceAnywhere).  And because you will be testing this on a network, you will incur some network testing time charges.

So if you have the man power, this is not going to be an expensive development - the most expensive part is probably the Alliance Membership.  It won't cost your clients anything, except data charges, they will just download your app and run it. 

Any more questions?

Edit:  One final thing following Pascal's post above.  You can make this a J2ME development, however if you want a really slick API, I don't think J2ME is the way to go.  Just my opinion.  And Pascal, like your signature!

Message Edited by peter_strange on 03-09-2009 05:43 PM