12-23-2008 11:15 PM
I just downloaded JDE 4.5.0 and am getting an error when trying to build the samples.
I've seen quite a few posts on the forum about not being able to build the samples, but my my error message is different than those.
Here is the error:
C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.5.0\bin\rapc.exe -quiet import=..\lib\net_rim_api.jar codename=com\rim\samples\device\helloworlddemo\Hel
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:\Program" (in directory "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.5.0\samples"): CreateProcess error=193, %1 is not a valid Win32 application
Error while building project
I've confirmed that my JDK and my JDE directories are in the Windows System Path. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium.
The error to me looks like it is complaining because there is a space in the path...but this is the default installation location.
Has anyone else run into this CreateProcess error=193 message?
12-24-2008 12:23 AM
First, double check the PATH environment variable.
Second, try running the JDE in "Admin" mode.
I don't want to sour you on Vista, but I tried it for about 3 months with the RIM tools, and eventually gave up switched to XP. I was constantly having bizarre issues that my colleagues on XP did not have. At the end of the day, I was spending too much time trying to overcome friction caused by the OS.
Since moving to XP, my JDE issues dropped to "almost negligible".
12-24-2008 01:40 AM
JDE does the following:
1. Compiles your source files with javac.exe (included in Java SDK) and makes jar file.
2. Runs rapc.exe with this jar file to make cod file
The problem occured on the first step. Javac.exe was not located.
To avoid this error - add the folder with Java SDK executables to the PATH environment variable and restart JDE.
If your SDK installed in folder: C:\JavaSDK
Then executables folder is: C:\JavaSDK\bin
12-24-2008 04:01 PM
I figured out the problem. There is a bug with the JDE and Vista. I uninstalled the JDE, then reinstalled it into a path with no spaces and everything worked. Apparently the JDE isn't quoting the path correctly during the build step (but only under vista as my XP box works with the default location).
Thanks for the help to those that responded.