Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

JDE for Mac OS X?

I find it hard to believe that RIM would not release a Mac version of their JDE.  There are so many reason to do so.  For instance, I only use Macs at home, and now the only option I'm left with is developing for the iPhone and/or Android-based phones.  So much Java development is done on platforms other than Windows.  Also, given the fact that a growing number of professional and hobbiest developers are staying clear of Vista (and don't tell me they are not), we can expect a greater migration for mobile development to happen on a Mac or Linux machine (especially with newer programmers).

Additionally, why wouldn't RIM try to tap into the iPhone developer community, especially with the problems everyone is having with getting their iPhone apps published in Apple's App Store?

Sorry, but this is very short-sighted on RIM's part.  I was all ready to buy my first Blackberry upon the Storm release, but if my only option is to develop in Windows then I'm gonna have to consider jumping to AT&T and the iPhone.

So, please tell me they've a Mac version Blackberry JDE in the works.

Highlighted
New Developer

Re: JDE for Mac OS X?

I actually do all of my BlackBerry development on a Mac.  The tools are (mostly) all there, and if you don't mind just a small bit of inconvenience, you can do everything with a Mac.  Once you get everything set up, it's pretty smooth.  

There's no JDE, but you really just want to use Eclipse and RIM's JDWP tool anyway.  Use bb-ant-tools to make your builds easy.  Read this guy's blog (http://www.slashdev.ca/) for tricks on how to make the SignatureTool run outside of Windows.  Use VMWare Fusion or Parallels if you need to use the emulator or debug on device.  It all works just fine. 

Developer

Someone elese in this forum recently posted a link to BB development under linux which would have similar problems.

I hadn't realized that rapc.exe just invokes rapc.jar which of course is portable.

What is problem with signaturetool as I thought that was just java too? It does have the silly requirement that it absoltely

has to popup a window even when run from the command line ( or maybe I missed an option).

New Developer

Yep, it's straight Java.  The only problem is that it has a hard-coded path separator of "\" instead of "/".  You can get around the popup window by passing the right command line options (i think it's just -password).

New Developer

Everything is an EXE.  Even the Eclipse plug-in.  wtf.
Developer
My Device: Passport

Actually, many people don't seem to know this, but rapc.jar also has some hard-coded backslash path separators.  Its just that they're in the resource file builder portions.  Since many new developers aren't terribly concerned about internationalizing their applications, they probably don't run into this issue.

Hopefully one of these days RIM will learn about Java's "java.io.File.separatorChar" variable, and use that instead.

That being said, you can actually build BlackBerry apps on any j2me-sdk-supporting platform (yes, I've even done it on Solaris), once you overcome that issue.  The only real problem is that the simulator is a native executable, and its a tad quirky in wine.

Developer

It looks like jad runs ok but I'm having a hard time isolating the offenders and I seem to recall

that a decent obfusctor could confuse jad.

Just looking for a single backslash turns up literal chars,

In my 4.3 jar, I came up with the following for explicit separator string,

$ cat offenders2 | while read ; do echo $REPLY;  grep  "\"\\\\\\\\\"" "$REPLY"
; done| more
./net/rim/tools/compiler/g.jad
            stringbuffer.append("\\");

From what I can tell on more liberal searches, there is some recognition that package path separators are flexible however.

New Developer

Hi, just ran into this issue today myself, doing a little research on the various SDKs for the viable mobile platforms out there.  It is really mind boggling that the JDE (and as a poster noted, even the eclipse plugin!) are windows exes.

A few notes to share:

1 - Apple can lose the platform game here;  read up on Podcaster episode and their app center.   Beyond that, the XCode SDK support is *superb*.  Just a few clicks and voila, iPhone 2.1 emulator running cool samples on my mac.  Clone that, please.

2 - RIM has a golden chance here given Apple's dictatorial tendencies.  Android feels beta and the OS is neither as mature as Mac OS X (obviously) nor is their Eclipse plugin a match for XCode.  It further forces you to learn yet another paradigm of making stupid MVC apps for platform x (intent, and all that ..).  Beyond the brand name, google has NOTHING here.  But I can develop software for their device right now (cool LunarLander example, check it out).  I can't for yours.

3 - SUN Microsystems completely blew it.  Its practically tragic.  In mid 90s they had Java (the original "android") and it stunning how their neglect in taking advantage of the opportunities (attention RIM ..) let them blew a 10 year lead.  

Dear RIM, one wishes to develop killer apps that will make Steve Jobs lose even more weight and help Sergey give up dreams of world domination.  But you are not being helpful.  Its inexplicable that a JME device can only be programmed through Windows. 

New Developer

Just thought I'd add my $.02. 

I'm an iPhone developer/consultant with two apps heading to the app-store and another for a client on its way. One of my apps is business-oriented and would be perfect for the Storm. I do 100% development on the Mac. Have a ton of tools for development, media creation, and documentation. I was on Windows for years and find the Mac to be a great development environment beyond just compiler and emulation tools.

I downloaded the BB Eclipse plugin and tried to install it through Eclipse software update. It finished installation then tried to restart Eclipse. Halfway through it froze saying it can not find RIMIDEWin32Util.dll. Now it's messed up my Eclipse environment which I use for Java, Flex, and Python development. Not cool.

I do run VMWare, but it's a PITA and I don't want to recreate my whole environment and support tools under Windows (been there, done that, got out of it).

If Blackberry wants to attract iPhone developers--i.e people with experience developing visual mobile UIs--it really needs to put out a Mac-compatible version of their SDK and make it easy for us iPhone people to transition over.  At the very least, put warnings up around the SDK telling iPhone devs to stay away.

New Developer

I just can't understand how or why RIM has a JDE at all.

The bb-ant-tools project + MIDP 1.0.3 for OSX really does everything required... except for providing a test platform.

Note to RIM:

Ditch that pile of crap JDE, adopt bb-ant-tools, and give us a freaking simulator that is just Java. We don't care if it's slower as long as it works on platforms other than Windows.

For starters, just give us the JDE in a zip or tbz file instead of an executable. Here's how: Install it, then zip it up. Really, that's all we're asking for here.

Next, make the stupid thing open source. Let's be honest - you give it away now so you get no value back from it. But your development team pretty much pooched it (sorry guys, but it's true), so let us have it.

Really.

It won't cost you any more money (open source developers work on stuff like this for free) and it will add significant value to you because we can make it better which means more (and better) applications for a device that you sell.

I love my phone. I hate it's development environment. Let us fix it. For free.

Please.