Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA
Accepted Solution

JDE won't start

Randomly today my JDE will no longer start. When I double click the icon, I see it flash in the task bar and then disappear. Very strange.

I've tried running the command in "ide.bat" manually, and this is what I get:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.6.0\bin>start javaw -Xmx256 M -DRIM_RUNTIME=..\lib -DRIM_BIN=..\bin -jar IDE.jar

Dialog box opens:

Java Virtual Machine Launcher

Could not find the main class. Program will exit.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the JDE, and tried restarting the computer, to no avail. 

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: JDE won't start

Hi,

just a guess try to find wether java is working properly on your system

Regards,
Rajat Gupta.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution" and kudos - your wish
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Please refer to the following.

Support - The BlackBerry JDE fails to start
Article Number: DB-00087

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800901/Support_-_Blac...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

I should have replied to this thread with the answer: I think the original error that I was having may have been a red herring. In the end, it was my "Resource.cs" (?) file that ended up being very corrupt, and deleting that allowed the JDE to start normally.

Thanks,

Daniel 

New Developer

I've just had a very similar problem that was caused by a different issue.

I have every version of the JDE installed on my machine and many of the different simulators that are available.  The issue I had was that JDE 4.2.1 was working however none of the other JDE's would even open, very much as described in this thread.

The problem turned out to be one of the simulator packages.  The simulator that caused the problem was the BlackBerry® Device Simulators v4.2.2.196 (8830).  Once I uninstalled this from my system, all JDE's started working again.

Developer

You could cross check on other machine and still teh same behaviour observed, you could escalate it to RIM.

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Developer
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

I had a very similiar problem - the JDE wouldn't start, and *most* of the problem seemed to be a simulator package.  In my case it was the 8350i (Nextel).  I uninstalled this simulator and was able to start the JDE (well, almost, see below).  Maybe it was the number of simulators installed?  I had 15 including this one.  By the way, I could just delete Settings.rc and the JDE would start.  I think it was because of simulator references in that file. 

Well, that wasn't my only JDE-starting problem.  It seems I needed to delete Runtime.rc as well.  Runtime.rc, mine anyway, only seems to provide a reference to net_rim_api.jar.  So, by not having Runtime.rc there on startup, building projects failed since there's no reference to that important jar.  The workaround is to manually add this jar in project properties.  I have no clue as to why this part stopped working, I'd love to hear any theories.  My Runtime.rc looks like this:

## RIM Java Development Environment
# default RIM runtime libraries

[RuntimeLibraries
$(RIM_RUNTIME)\net_rim_api.jar
]

Thanks for any suggestions.

Frank

Developer
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

oops - paste-error typo there - there are actually two # signs....

## default RIM runtime libraries

New Developer

My JDE was not starting for seemingly no reason. I deleted all my simlulators and then it worked. Goddam mess of software on my machine, 6 JDEs and about 20 simulators + Eclipse. BlackBerry needs to do something about this.

Highlighted
Visitor

Just installed another simulator and suddenly my JDEs wouldn't start (except for 4.2.1). If I uninstalled this latest simulator the JDEs would again launch, After reading this thread I checked the number of simulators I had installed and oddly enough it was 15, same as kaputafj. So I tried uninstalling a simulator other than the latest and once again the JDEs would launch. My take on this is that the JDEs can only handle up to 14 "added" simulators.