Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
New Developer
My Device: null
Accepted Solution

Java App and BlackBerry 10?

I finally broke down - after 26 hours of trying to figure it out on my own- and am posting a request on this forum. Does anyone know - will an App written in BlackBerry Java 7.1 work on the BlackBerry 10?  And how do I test it?

I have discovered:

1. The Blackberry 10 needs a ".bar" file, not a ".cod" file. But Blackberry Projects in Eclipse make .cod files

2.  To test an App on the Blackberry 10, I need to download the VMware player, and the BB10 simulator, and

set up the zoom etc with the controller.

3. Black berry is typically forwards compatible, so if an App worked on JDK 6.0, it should work on 7.0.  Does this mean it should also work on 10?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Java App and BlackBerry 10?

"Does anyone know - will an App written in BlackBerry Java 7.1 work on the BlackBerry 10?"

No.  Sorry

"Does this mean it should also work on 10?"

Unfortunately BlackBerry (well RIM at the time they decided!) have decided not to support Java on the BB10 platform. 

Here is a quick summary of how I found developing using C++ on BB10:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/BB10-Development-Jump-in-the-water-s-warm/m-...

New Developer
New Developer

I wish to Thank-you, Peter_Strange for your information. But I must say, I am stunned out of my mind.

I read your article and much of the other links in it - and am totally staggered.  You see, I am a new developer. I decided 6 months ago to develop BB apps -so I switched careers and started in full time. I spent 1 full week reading the BB site before I decided that Java was the best language to learn. Then I spent 5 months learning Java - 2000 pages of 2 Java textbooks, and 250 pages of a Java BB development textbook.   Then this?  6 months of my time - 14 hours a day, 6 days a week, learning Java because BLACKBERRY RECOMMENDED IT! - and not one word anywhere that they weren't going to support it anymore?

And even this past week, while I was spending my 26 hours trying to figure out how to port my first and only App to the BB 10, I could not find anything to help me on the BB site. If it weren't for your comments and links, I'd still be in the dark. I'm so disgusted with RIM, words can hardly describe it.  They have thrust a sword through my heart for their own selfish ends. And I am very sorry. 

Thomas

Developer

I understand your concern.

My experience is a little different. 

I do not think 6 months ago BlackBerry would have recommended to anyone that they develop in Java, without first clarifying that the apps being developed would not work on BB10 and so would only be for Java OS phones (which are the vast majority of phones right now anyway). 

My experience with the BlackBerry developer web site is that it has been promoting other development options, especially the C++ and Web Works development options, in favor of Java, for at least the last year or so too. 

In addition, I am aware that BlackBerry have made life difficult for us Java developers, but the resources they have put into and continue to put into the current development options mean that the developer moving to Blackberry now and learning C++ has a lot more support than they had when developing Java.  In fact along the way they have improved the Java support too!  So I don't think this was done for their own selfish ends.

I encourage you to continue to develop your Java application - there are loads of BlackBerry OS phones at there.  There is, I suspect, at least 2 years of life for your application. 

And I encourage you to try the B++ Cascades platform.  It is a better development environment. 

My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Devi

guys

i have a question :

if i use java to c++ converter program, does it work on Blackberry OS10 ?
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

please use an own thread to ask questions in the future (and welcome to the board).
only one way to know: find it out.
anything related to the UI would have to be rewritten in any case, though.

@OP:
I agree with peter, you can still make money with bb java (i know we do), but learning the new platform on the side will not be a bad thing to do. If you have a good grip on java you should need maybe 2 months to get to a productive level if done by the side. Qt helps a lot, but some c++ basics are a must.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer
New Developer

It was in October of 2012 that I spent 1 week studying the BB site to determine what language I should learn for developing Apps. I had no bias one way or the other , for although I know 4 different computer languages, none of them work on the Blackberry platform.  So I chose Java. And certainly there was not one word on any BB web-site that I read that even remotely told me Java was about to be dropped on their BB10.   Even after the BB10 was released, the only hint that Java was not supported is that if you clck on the BB10 platform options, and follow the Java link, you end up at a page that says, Java SDK works till 7.1.  But as in my first post of this thread, that did not deter me at all, for I had  read in several places that BB is pretty good at making Java versions forward compatible.

If there is or was something out there on an official Blackberry page that said Java would not be supported on OS 10, I missed it, and still haven't seen it.

In the mean time, I think I'll take your advice and program for devices running 7.1 and earlier.

Are you recommending C++ or B++ as my best alternatives to start learning on the side?

Thomas.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Apologies, there are some typos in my post:

"My experience with the BlackBerry developer web site is that it has been promoting other development options, especially the C++ and Web Works development options, in favor of Java, for at least the last year or so too"

I think "in favour of" would have been better written, "in preference to". 

"I encourage you to try the B++ Cascades platform"

should have read

I encourage you to try the C++ Cascades platform

I hope that clarifies things. 

New Developer
New Developer

Thanks