Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm
My Carrier: Vodafone

LINUX - Eclipse JDE plugin

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone, this is my first post, but i use the forum a lot. Found lots of good advices and code samples from here. But i have something that i haven't been able to find and wanted to ask to this community, so here it comes:

I know the official plugin is for windows, but it should work in linux too if we get it from the blackberry update site.

When i try to install eclipse plugin for eclipse from the update site it fails while updating. I recieve this error message:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software being installed: BlackBerry Java Plug-in 1.1.2.201004161203-16 (net.rim.EclipseJDE.feature.group 1.1.2.201004161203-16)
  Missing requirement: BlackBerry Java Plug-in 1.1.2.201004161203-16 (net.rim.EclipseJDE.feature.group 1.1.2.201004161203-16) requires 'org.eclipse.help [3.4.0,3.5.0)' but it could not be found

So I was wondering if i could add some extra librarys or something to make it work on linux (I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS). I would appreciate any advice, trick, guide to make it work under linux. Thank you in advance. Francisco.

EDIT: the above problem is when using Eclipse 3.6 helios. Trying right now with 3.5 Galileo... If works i'll let everyone know.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: LINUX - Eclipse JDE plugin

welcome to the support forums.

the 1.1 plugin runs on eclipse 3.5 only.

maybe you can find some experience by searching the forum, i know that some people succeeded in using ant+eclipse without the plugin.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks for the answer.  I will do that. I tried to install the jde plugin on eclipse galileo (3.5) and i could complete the download, but it doesn't fully work. I keep trying tho, seems possible to get most of the features.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

IIRC some of the plugin uses Windows native code and isn't going to work on Linux. The simulators for sure are not going to work on Linux.

You will make your life MUCH easier if you either setup a Windows partition on your Linux box or buy a cheap (but not too cheap) Windows box to use for BlackBerry development.

Highlighted
New Developer
New Developer
My Device: dev alpha c (bb10)
My Carrier: www.rzr.online.fr
Developer
My Device: Passport

It will pretend to run with Wine, especially the older simulator versions.  Newer ones are less likely to pretend to work.

I emphasize the word "pretend" because you will soon run into strange bugs, screen artifacts, instability, or other things that just make this not worth bothering with.

BlackBerry development is one of the few things I use Windows for these days.  We can only hope, if they actually port the simulators to Mac, that more serious options will exist.  (but knowing RIM, they'll only port the newest simulator, making it still effectively useless for serious work)