Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: TMobile
Accepted Solution

Launching application on device from debugger reboots device

I'm trying to debug an application on device. I had some initial success, but lately the device reboots when the debugger tries to launch the application. The application gets installed, and I can run it from the device after the device reboots, but so far I'm unable to get it to run under the debugger.

Configuration

Device: 9700

Eclipse: Galileo (3.5.2)

Blackberry Java Plug-in: 1.1.2.201004161203-16

Blackberry SDK: 5.0.0.25

-rich

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Launching application on device from debugger reboots device

Please refer to this post:  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Eclipse-pluging-1-1-quot-debug-as-Blac...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I came across that post last week. Tried it and still had problems. This morning I tried again. I uninstalled the application. Then pulled the battery to start up clean. When I tried to launch the application from Eclipse, I saw the same reboot problem. The application does get installed, and I can run it from the device after the reboot.

I have some other test applications that I can install and debug. The application in question is getting large, and I saw some posts indicating that larger applications might be problematic and cause a reboot. Is there anything I can do to work around this problem? Is there a way to skip the install step (since the application is already installed), and just launch the application and attach the debugger? Alternatively, can I attach the debugger to an already running application? Right now I'm totally unable to debug on device.

New Contributor

I believe I've found a solution to this problem. I had tried the suggestion of deleting the application from Options | Applications on the device. Turns out this did not completely remove the application. Some library modules remained behind. I was able to delete these from Desktop Manager. This is a somewhat cumbersome process, but it gets me unblocked for on device debugging.

I hope that RIM will provide us with a better debugging experience in the future. It would be nice if the device reset weren't required, but I suppose it is in some scenarios. For these the debugger should tolerate the delay in connecting due to the reset. It would also be nice to be able to attach the debugger to a running application. IIRC, the was available in the old JDE SDK.