Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Library Issue

I made my own library and lets say its lib.cod.

I have multiple apps that use this library. In the JDE, app1 would be dependent on the library. Same with the other apps.

Everything works fine and dandy that way, when the apps are installed individually. An issue occurs however when more then one app is installed on the same device. If I installed app1 on my device, the cods ap1.cod and lib.cod would be loaded onto the BlackBerry. Then when I install app2, app2.cod is loaded, and then it says that lib.cod already exist, replace with new version? If I click yes, then app2 continues to install normally.

So now app2 works on the device, but app1 doesn't even appear anymore.

My question is, is there a way to use a library setup without having this problem?

New Developer

Re: Library Issue

Anybody?

Developer

The issue you see (installing a library cod takes away a previous application), is, in my limited experience, OS dependent.  On some OS's it will take it away, on some it won't.  Same is true for when you remove application 2 - on some OS it will take the Library, in others it seems to recognize that the library is shared and leaves it.

We have not done any work to determine if there is any pattern to this.  

To get round this problem we install Library and using Applications separately without dependencies.  This is a pain for our users, and something that RIM understands and is looking to resolve - there was a very useful roundtable discussion on shared libraries at DevCon. 

So we have multiple Alx's and multiple jads for each application. 

New Developer

Okay I understand that. Thanks for your help.

Developer
My Device: Rogers Curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

Would you happen to know what this roundtable discussion was called? Sounds like something that could have helped me right now... Smiley Tongue

Developer

In this case, a round table is a meeting, called by RIM, on a specific topic.  This was really an open forum, where if you wanted to share your experiences or suggest way RIM could improve in the identified area, you could have your say.  There were roundtables about UI, shared Library, documentation and a number of other things. Rim 'chair people' took the notes and actions from the meetings, so there was no outcome that can be shared.

But as a for example, from the shared library raountable, it seems Rim are trying to provide a shared library facility so that it is possible for people to create libraries on the BB that they can sell to other people.  I can see people selling  UI Libraries, or connection libraries or "SQL connect" libraries, so I think this is great idea.  And if the platform supports this sort of library, then a plain user library should be easy to manage.

But it is not there yet.

Does this answer your question?

Developer
My Device: Rogers Curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Not precisely... it does sort of answer the underlying question though Smiley Happy

I could see something like this being useful for companies to provide some sort of 'drivers' for their devices that application developers could use.

Thanks!