Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Location Accuracy in Blackberry using SimpleLocationAPI

Hi All,

I am using the SimpleLocationAPI (http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Simple-Location-API/ta-p/1145951) in my application for getting the current location of the user on Blackberry Bold 9700 (OS 5) and Torch 9800 (OS 6) but I am unable to get a accurate location (it is showing me 2-5 km away from my actual location).

I am using the SimpleLocationAPI in OPTIMAL mode and getting a single fix when I need to get the location.

BB Maps application and Google Maps application give me a more accurate location on the same devices (upto 100-200 meters accurate).

Can anyone help me on this ?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Location Accuracy in Blackberry using SimpleLocationAPI

It sounds like your initial fix is using cell-tower location to determine an approximate location of the device. This is very quick, but not very accurate.  It is still useful to get an approximate fix on the device for the purpose of locating POI's, etc, expecialayy when you are indoors and cannot get a true GPS fix.

For a more accurate fix you'll need to request stand-alone GPS mode, where the GPS chip actually obtains a location from the satellites.  This takes longer (perhaps 2 minutes for a first-fix) but is much more accurate.