Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Location base information

I emailed the developer contact with my phone number in the sigfile.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

marchywka wrote:

What is preventing the cell tower location system from giving a location fix? That is theoretically

available without GPS and even required AFAIK for e911 location determination. What is the likelihood carrier

will make it available for a developer ( did you try approaching the developer contacts at your carrier?).

I don't have GPS, bluetooth or otherwise AFAIK on my 7130 and it started working after I contacted the carrier.

This requires support from the carrier.  If they do not support it or it is not enabled for the user it will not be available by an application.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

So then, let's say, I developed this kind of location base application without using GPS and I want to distribute this app to users without pay.

Then user point of view, they need to contact carriers' developer center and give their phone number to get the access.

Is this the flow for every user for using of this app?

How user can avoid this procedure?

Thanks,

DK

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

The end user does need to ensure that they have GPS service.  There isn't any way around this.

The following lists the GPS modes supported by different BlackBerry Models.

What Is - The BlackBerry smartphone models and their corresponding GPS capabilities
Article Number: DB-00615

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800703/What_Is...

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Personally I'd be happy if they just advertised the availability and wanted to charger a few dollars/month to enable

it. But, AFAIK, political action for open access to the public airwaves is about the only option.

Sure don't know why they just don't offer it as an option to unlimited data plans.

While we are on this, if you take up letter writing, please consider some other topics including the

FCC's willingness to accept locked pdf versions of public  documents ( no text extraction for automated indexing )

and things like court documents which require paid access ( their US PACER system charges a minimal

amount but when you try to do automated searches, or let's say you wanted to track

foreclosure filings, it adds up in a hurry ).

How's that? I haven't found a better approach.

New Developer

I know that Navizon offers access to their global database of CellIDs. They also offer a Blackberry SDK.