Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Long array list

I have a question just to pick at the genius minds on this forum and gather your thoughts.

What would be the best way to implement the retrieval of a long array list or list to the blackberry device from a database? When I say long I am referring to a list of around 60,000+ schools and objects containing their detail information to go with it.

I am looking for the best and smartest approach so any insight would be helpful.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Long array list

Is this from an SQLite database on the phone or a database on a server somewhere?

In either case, the answer, I think, depends in large part on why you are retrieving the data. To save for future use? To process each record independently and be done with it? To summarize it? Do you need to access the records randomly, or is sequential access in the order they arrive good enough?

Too many unknowns to have my genius picked at. Smiley Tongue

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for the reply.

Im Sorry I was very vague in my explanation.

Basically the application works with an API to communicate and call on a SQL Server 2008 database. It will search for a large list of databased schools, 60000+, and bring that data on the phone. What I want to try to avoid is an extreme lag in the amount of time it needs to display on the device, so optimization is a must.......thats particularly why I am looking for input on such an approach.

thanks again for your quick response, it is much appreciated.

Developer

To bring down 60,000 records via HTTP is somewhat problematic:  (a) the user will not want to wait for it, and (b) you may not have room for the data on the device.

A more "wireless friendly" approach would be to pass some parameters that bring down the part of the list you are working on at the moment, or to implement some type of paging operation to bring the list down a chunk at a time.

Developer

I agree with RexDoug. You surely don't want to present 60,000 records to the user all at once. Even with no detail (just a dot on a map, for instance), there would be too much data to be of any use.

In addition to "chunking" the communication load, you should also take a close look at moving as much work as possible to the server. So, for instance, any results that require access to a significant number of records should be done server-side if possible. Even if a calculation requires combining database records with data only available on the device (such as GPS coordinates), the device data can be sent to the server to be crunched, rather than sending (pieces of) the database to the device.

It may mean that you have to compromise on your application's requirements: some functions that would be do-able with a local copy of the database just won't be available if there isn't any connectivity.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.