Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 8350i Curve

MIDP Storage vs. Persistent

Just trying to decide which direction - MIDP storage or Persistent.  The data I'm working with will always be text, but there could be a fair amount of it (4 meg +) so I wanted to use the micro SD card for storage.  I've read that MIDP has two options, Record Management System (RMS) and File Connection API.  According the API documentation, RMS databases can't be accessed with the File Connection method, but yet the File Connection API is the only example used to show saving data to the micro SD.  Is there another way to store RMS databases to removable media (micro SD card)?  Or is there a better way to access data on removable media?  How slow is pulling data with the File Connection API?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: MIDP Storage vs. Persistent

[ Edited ]

There are 3 options.

1. MIDP RMS storage (internal memory, cannot be saved/stored on micro-sd card)

2. RIM Persistent Store

3. File Connection API

RIM Persistent Store is an object storage. And there is a limited qty of object handles which can be stored into RIM Persistent Store.

Qty limitation is related to the device software version.

File Connection API is the best choice if you want to store big amount of data. This API allows creating files in internal device memory and on external memory micro-sd card.

Message Edited by tbilisoft on 28-05-2009 07:00 PM
Developer

Developer

File Connection API works quite fast.

It is the best choice if you want to store and manage big files on micro-sd card.