Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: ---
My Carrier: ---

Manager above another manager

Hi all ,

I'd like to know how to put manager above another manager ( not manager inside another manager ) .

so i can put BitmapField above another BitmapField ( or any Field over any Field )

Thanks....

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Manager above another manager

[ Edited ]

Remember that there is no 'z' order in BlackBerry and Managers are given a certain 'extent' (i.e. a Rectangle) in which to paint.  In its most basic form, these areas do not overlap.

However it is possible to overlap Fields (and by implication Managers, since a Manager is a special case of a Field).  But since each Manager is given a rectangle in which they must position all their children, they can only overlap things within their rectangle.

So the base Manager for a Screen can overlap any of its child Fields (or Managers) anywhere on the Screen, but one of the child Managers could not decide to position one of the Fields it manages, over the top of something that was outside the area that it had control over. 

What I am trying to say, in summary, is that you can overlap things as I think you would like, provided you are careful deciding what Fields go in which Managers.  You will probably find it easier if you write your own custom Manager to do this as you want. 

Developer
My Device: ---
My Carrier: ---

Re: Manager above another manager

Thanks Peter for your help .