Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

MediaException in playing videos on Verizon 8130, but plays on 8130 simulator

Hi,

I have developed a custom Media Player (based on MMAPI 1.1) using Blackberry JDE 4.3 to play audio (mp3) and video (3gp, mp4) files. The  video files play properly on Verizon 8130 simulator but, fail to play on the device Verizon 8130 with the player error code 6 (Error in file or format). The video can also be played on Blackberry browser and, the cutsom media player plays the video on Blackberry curve 8230 device too. Mp3 files play fine on the custom media player.

Is this a known problem on verizon Blackberry smartphones? Please help me in debugging/fixing this problem.

Thanks,

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: MediaException in playing videos on Verizon 8130, but plays on 8130 simulator

What custom media player are you referring to?  The default Media player included with the BlackBerry handheld software?  From where are you playing the files from?  Are you reading from a micro SD card, downloading from a server, or using some other means?  If you are downloading the file, what protocol is being used?  Does this apply to all MP3 files or just certain ones?
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Re: MediaException in playing videos on Verizon 8130, but plays on 8130 simulator

I have devloped the custom media player and was written to MMAPI (using javax.microedition.media.Player). I am not referring to the Blackberry Media player. The Blackberry media player is fine and is able to play the 3gp/mp4/mp3 files when a URL of the media file is entered on the Blackberry browser on the actual device 8130.

I am playing the files from a server i.e., i am specifying the HTTP URL of a media file to the Player. On Verizon 8130 simulator, the custom media player works fine and plays any media file (3gp/mp4/mp3).  But on actual device, the custom media player can only play mp3 files and the video files give player error 6 (error in file or format).

Thanks,

Can you provide a URL of a sample video that triggers this error?
Mark Sohm

New Developer

http://64.9.100.106:8085/cuemedemo.3gp

What version of BlackBerry handheld software is installed on the BlackBerry 8130?  I was not able to play your file in the built in Media player or programmatically when using BlackBerry handheld software version 4.3.0, but could when using version 4.5.0.
Mark Sohm

New Developer

It is Verizon 8130 smartphone (CDMA).

V4.3.0.97 (Platform 3.1.0.51)

CLDC 1.1, MIDP-2.0, MMAPI 1.1

I am able to play on 8130 simulator and on the actual device.

Please note that the BlackBerry Simulator is not the best test to test if a format is supported.  Codec support relies on the hardware on the BlackBerry device and its BlackBerry handheld software.

When testing the file on the BlackBerry 8130, are you reading the file from a micro SD card or playing it from the BlackBerry Browser?  If you are using the browser, the MDS Connection Service of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server could be converting the file into a format supported by the BlackBerry device you are using.

Mark Sohm

New Developer

When testing the file on the BlackBerry 8130, i am playing it from BlackBerry Browser by entering the url. Similarly, i am giving the same url to the custom media player UIApplication. I believe all the http requests (from Browser or Custom UIApplications) will have to go thru' the MDS.

Does the Blackberry Media player use a different software than MMAPI to play media files?. If we look at the error code 6 returned by custom media player, it says that the player is not able to understand either the video or audio code of the media. I have tried 3gp (video mpeg4, audio AMR-NB) and mp4 (video mpeg4, audio AAC) in vain.

On Blackberry Storm,  my custom media player is able to play the 3gp videos.

Thanks,

Highlighted

The built in media player does use different APIs, but as I mentioned the file could be transcoded for the BlackBerry Browser when going through the MDS Connection Service.  Data downloaded by third party applications would not be.

If you are able to upgrade the BlackBerry 8130 to version 4.5.0 you should be able to play the file you linked to.

Mark Sohm