Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

More about Java, bluetooth, and pairing.

On other JSR82 phones I can perform bluetooth communication without pairing, but not on blackberries.

Searching through these forums I see other people bumping up against this same issue, so I know that this is how it is on Blackberries and there is no simple solution.

In my case, I need my application - which is supposed to run on Blackberries with bluetooth v2.0 and OS 4.2.1 or later - to communicate with many different bluetooth devices and I can't ask the user to pair their blackberry with each different device.

Is there ANY sort of solution to this problem?
- Can the application itself add to the blackberries' list of paired devices?
- Could the application handle the system's PIN prompt itself?
- When I initiate an outbound ACL link, does the blackberry OS first check its list of paired bd_addr's, or does it start by attempting a link-key exchange?  Let me explain this question.  The bluetooth 2.0 spec indicates that the exchange of PIN keys only happens if the link key challenge-response fails.  If this were true for the BB then maybe there is hope yet.  I don't have a bluetooth sniffer so I can't tell whether this is how it works with blackberries.  Does anyone know the answer or is there a document that discusses RIM OS bluetooth at this level?

Thanks for any suggestions,

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: More about Java, bluetooth, and pairing.

BlackBerry handhelds require a device to be paired before communicating with it.  There are no methods to directly handled the PIN exchanged, however you could use the EventInjector API to inject the appropriate characters into the PIN request prompt that is displayed to the user during the pairing.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker