Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Generic

NFC Secure Element Development

Hi there,

Although this is not technically a Blackberry development question I thought someone here might have some insight into the following questions I have regarding the development and deployment of Javacard apps on a Secure Element (specifically those found in new NFC Blackberry handsets):

1. Are there any preffered development environments? I have worked with Javacard before, but I'm wondering if there are any specific dev tools I should be using to make my life easier?
  2. How do I load a Javacard .CAP file onto the embedded secure elements of Blackberry devices? I have worked with GlobalPlatfrom  before, I'm now wondering if I should implement my own "Javacard app loading" functions to do this, or if there are existing tools and libraries that can assist with this?
  3. How do I get keys for loading apps onto the embedded secure elements of Blackberry devices?
  4. Where do I get specs about the specific Secure Element device used in the Blackberry devices, and the version of Javacard supported etc.

I have been searching for answers to these questions for a week now, but I'm not really making any progress. Any info or even some links to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Generic

Re: NFC Secure Element Development

bump
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 8520
My Carrier: Rogers

There are essentially two secure elements ( SE ) on the BBY – there is a good primer that Martin and John wrote which can be found via ://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/java_dev@tkb/article-id/623. This describes the architecture and capabilities at a fairly high level before drilling down in subsequent articles.

Both the SE in the  UICC (SIM) and the RIM embedded SE (eSE) are capable of running javacard applets.

The issues of loading javacard applets into an SE is not really a technical one. There is good documentation elsewhere on how to perform this standard task. The issue is more of a business relationship one.

The UICC is managed by the carrier that issued it and you would have to establish a relationship with the carrier if you wanted to install an applet on their SE. The carrier owns the necessary keys and credentials to manage the UICC application content and also the over the  air (OTA) infrastructure that is used to load javacard applets onto their SE. In a sense the carrier manages the “hosting” of 3rd party applets in its UICC/SE.

The same goes for the eSE. In this case RIM owns it and the necessary keys and credentials to manage the eSE application content and also the over the  air (OTA) infrastructure (under construction) that is used to load javacard applets onto the eSE. In this case RIM manages the “hosting” of 3rd party applets in the eSE.

So, even though a 3rd party developer can easily develop a javacard applet using standard toolsets he will not be able to just load up an applet into either a carrier’s UICC/SE or RIM’s eSE.

Hope this clarifies any questions. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Raihan Masroor
BlackBerry Development Advisor