Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Need help playing video on Popup GlobalScreen

Hi all,

I am using pushGlobalScreen to push my popup screen from my background application.

The popup includes a video field, when i try to play that it is showing at the top of the screen starting from 0,0 coordinates. The issue is i want it to show in the popup only.

Thanks

Gautam

Developer

Re: Need help playing video on Popup GlobalScreen

I tested it with OS below 6.0 it works fine, but for BB torch device its not working as expected.Is this a device specific issue??

Developer

BUMP!!

Developer

I also found that code (video playback) which works OK upto 5.0 does not on 6.0. !?Smiley Mad

New Contributor

Developer

I strongly recommend that you do not use a Global Screen for this sort of purpose.  Global Screens are intended to be used to highlight error conditions which the user needs to know about, not display video's.

Global Popup screens have a number of restrictions that make them difficult to use for sophisticated User interaction - for example, any menu's you try to display will appear behind the screen (and so are useless). 

If you have a Background application and you need to do something like this, then bring your App to the foreground and display it then.

Developer

Thanks, peter_strange.

Could you recommend (maybe not that strong 'though Smiley Happy the way to deal with video playback on OS 6.0?

In fact, I asked RIM guys, and the answer was, I had to join their Alliance Program and then they...

Developer

Sorry, not an area of expertise.

However there is (or at least there used to be) an incident based service, where for $250, RIM would help you out with a problem.  You didn't have to pay if it was resolved to be a RIM issue.  This sounds like a good candidate.....

New Contributor

This is the issue.

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/JAVAAPI-1622

Comment on it, and it will be moved up.

New Contributor

Will requestForeground bring me in front of the caller ID screen being shown when an incoming call is received?  Is there any way other than pushglobal to show something in front of that?