Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Need some how-to's or liks to posts for a new project

Hi, all.  I am using Eclipse to build a new app for BB.

I am certain these questions have been asked a thousand times.  I am looking for:

1) A good how-to for multi-screen hierarchcal application.  Just the basics of navigating from one screen to the next and back.  I have a main screen that has three or four buttonfields.  when you click on each, you go to a new screen and so forth.

2) I would like to download an XML document from a remote site and use it as a local data source.  Is this possible? 

3) Is is possible to build a list of buttonfields from an XML source?  The list may vary over time, so I would prefer to host XML and update the UI dynamically.  That way it is also available offline if there is no service.

4) If I want to push messages, similar to new Facebook messages, to an application, how can I do that?

Thanks for all of your help.

Eclispse 3.4
JDE 5
Bold/Tour/Storm
Developer

Re: Need some how-to's or liks to posts for a new project

The Blackberry knowledgebase developer docs are your friend.  The base set of docs and sample code is here:

Knowledgebase Docs and Sample Code

There's one in there on parsing XML.

IBM has a set of good articles with sample code on developing for the blackberry:

IBM developerWorks

developerlife has some good Blackberry articles.  Here's their article on SAX or DOM...which means you probably can generate button fields using a DOM model (or parser?)

developerlife: DOM or SAX

I don't know about #4 but I'm guessing Facebook has API documents that you can look at.

Developer

Re: Need some how-to's or links to posts for a new project

Great links mlisaoverdrive!

In addition

1) I would try the samples, I think they, simple ones excluded, use multiple screen in the way you would like.

2) Yes, but downloading it (the network part) this is not trivial.  Networking on the Blackberry has a number of issues because there is not one way to do it - the method you need to use can depend on how the device is configured.  So do expect to spend a little time sorting this out.   You might like to start here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Connecting-your-BlackBerry-http-and-socket-c...

3) Absolutely, we have an XML driven screen generator so that we can easily reconfigure our apps.  We use the SAX parser.

4) There are two flavors of push, depending on whether you are pushing to consumer or corporate devices. 

BES Push - Corporate

BIS Push - Consumer

BIS Push is being rolled out now and has some base requirements that i can remember.  Search the forum or Google for BES Push for more.  There is a page on it somewhere around, but I can never find it when i need it...

Good luck