Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Netbeans features

Hello.  I have recently been converting my Eclipse stuff to pure ant files along with using a preprocessor to conditionally compile different os versions and distributions.  As stated in a previous post I have this working for the most part but it ruins support for fancy code completion and refactoring tools in Eclipse.  The main thing missing is project configurations.  I have taken a small look at Netbeans and it seems to support everything I am looking for.  Can anyone verify they have all of the following working? I don't need the details, I just want to know if this path is worth going down since I can see this eating up a few days...

1) Supports BlackBerry os4.5 an up. 

2) Preprocessor that doesn't break the syntax highlighting, refactoring and other goodies.

3) Ability to have project configurations that allow me to define preprocessor defines per project.

4) Support for project configurations to build to a different output directory.

From what I have seen the answer is yes but Eclipse seems to be the tool of choice around here but if Netbeans supports all this I am not sure why anyone would bother with Eclipse. That's what makes me ask.

Thank you for anytime spent.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Re: Netbeans features

1. yes it can support 4.5 and up. depending on the platform you add. you have to manually add a blackberry platform.

2.  it supports preprocessing which automatically comment out uneccsarry lines of code.

3. you can define your own project but not sure if you can define your own preprocessor

4. yes you can build to a different directory.

you can refer to this on how to setup netbeans for Blackberry development.

http://jonathanhfisher.co.uk/newsitems/blackberrynetbeansdev/index.htm

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Wowzers!  Thanks. Why does anyone even bother with Eclipse?  If people get a break, I would suggest they give Netbeans a look since developing for j2me pretty much requires a preprocessor.  Mind you it's been all of a couple hours but all the features look like they are there and from my tests they look like they are working.
Developer
My Device: Playbook

Yes, to all four.