Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Network connection causing voice dialing app to hang.

Storm 2, 9550 with OS 5.0.0.320

I have an app that uses a constant connection to receive push notifications from a server.  The problem I am seeing is when this connection is active, if you try to load the voice dialing app it will hang while saying "Initializing, pleased wait."  Once the connection in my app ends,  the voice dialing app will finish loading and says "Say a Command."  What is the voice dialing app doing that would cause them to interfere like this?

Developer

Re: Network connection causing voice dialing app to hang.

I would look for some synchronization issue?  Does your code that waits for the push run withint a sybchronized block?  Do you lock something like RuntimeStore?

New Developer

The code waiting for the push does not run in a syncronized lock.  Also we aren't using anything in the store that our app doesn't own.

Developer

See whether the Voice Dialing application attempts network I/O on startup. On way to find this out is to change the Event Log log level to Debug, then fire up the Voice Dialing application, and then scan the log for connection attempts.

Developer

Can I confirm that the 'hold up' you are seeing only occurs when loading the voice dialing app?  Other things, like the Browser, for example, load up fine?

Have you tried using your application on the Simualtor?

BTW, I suggested the synchronized as a possible issue, becuase of the way the standard RIM supplied push listener code does a synchronized, as you can see here:

How To - Open a push listener connection
Article Number: DB-00434
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800662/How_To_...

How does this code compare with yours?

New Developer

I can confirm that this only happens with the voice dialing app.  All other apps load correctly.

New Developer

Originally the code was not syncronized.. I tried adding the lock and the issue still happened.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Good try, but I would not have expected that to change anything either.

I'll admit to being a bit lost here.

One suggestion would be to attach the device to a debugger, change the Event Logging level to display Information messages and watch the Event log in the debugger window.  No idea what you will see there, but maybe something useful.

Alternatively, create a really cut down version of your app, and see if the problem still occurs (what do I mean by really cut down - just listen and throw away for example).  If the problem still occurs, this will be easy to give to RIM (or us here) to see if they/we can help.  If it doesn't, then add the tricky bits from your app until it breaks.  Sorry, this is clearly not an easy option!