Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: New Alliance Program - a good thing for developers?

Perfect, looking forward to it.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
My Device: 9000

Oh, I can't believe I have missed this Smiley Happy

But here are my 2 euro cents Smiley Happy

The Nr 1 problem we are having with 90% of our customers is the connectivity. Yes I can blame myself as being a lousy developer, spending a month of time working on it, and still for some reason it just doesn't work for everyone !

I tried all possible options that RIM provides in a public API but for some people that don't have MDS/BES, only TCP or Wi-FI works, but they all must go and set up the parameters, even when setting them up, surprise they get tunnel failed, or any other errors. Strangely the browser application works. I am not going to talk about WAP2 (that no one seems to have, based on my statistics) and WAP1 that always hangs and is not reliable. Wi-Fi is also not available everywhere and requires also setting-up.

I have no other complains about BlackBerry OS API, everything works well, except the connectivity, and the BIS looks like the only thing that I can try.

Well I hoped it was. As other people have noticed the new Alliance partner program is good, if you have allot of people working on BlackBerry device, but when there is only one person like myself, there is no physical way I can get all those points even during the first year, we have calculated that maximum we can get 15 points relatively quickly, the other points are very hard to get and require allot of time.

I don't care about any other features, just BIS, hope it would solve the connectivity mess...

P.S. Sorry for the rant, just hope to find a solution.

Developer
My Device: 9630

I think we are all hoping to see one at the conference.

My wishlist:

- Cheaper alliance program

- App World pushed/preinstalled on all devices (dream on, I know)

New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

hey mike,

so it looks like to use "BlackBerry Push Essentials" we still need to sign up for basic "Registered" ISV program?  i tried to do that twice already -- is somebody from RIM suppose to get back to us?  Considering how Apple is treating their developers, RIM has a unique opportunity here: http://www.paulgraham.com/apple.html

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

I haven't looked up the Push Essentials but with the exception of the Eclipse 1.1 beta, most of the announced servces (Location, GUI Builder, etc.) are going to come out in 2010.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
New Developer
New Developer

[ Edited ]

so if it only comes out in 2010, why list it on the website as if it is ready to go?  from the site:

BlackBerry Push Service1 offers two options:

BlackBerry Push Essentials:

• Free service at all tiers

[.....]

1 To use the BlackBerry Push Service, you need to be a BlackBerry ISV Alliance Program member and enter into one or more agreements with RIM, as well as download and use the BlackBerry Push Service SDK and enable the BlackBerry Push Service within your applications.

so it is on the website but we still need to sign up for ISV.  great, but when i sign up for ISV i don't hear anything back.

it is fine if these services are coming online in 2010, i understand it is important to do it right and prepare, but can't we start developing and testing for them now?  why delay development efforts?

Retired

Good questions.

I am looking into the items that you mentioned about not hearing back from the Alliance folks.

As for the Push service, we are starting with Alliance partners today in a controlled external beta to get a lot of great feedback from some early adopters before making the solution broadly available to the public development community.  This is a common practice to ensure that what we provide the broad development community has the major issues worked out.

Mike

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Developer

So what did I miss? Is BIS-B now available in registered tier?

I'm pretty far into my app development and just realized there is

no way I can earn the needed points for the assoc tier. I'm just

a guy with a laptop.

Can I get an update please? Need to know if I should abandon

this project and learn the Android API. Hope not.

Ty

Developer
My Device: 9000

[ Edited ]

Good, I would also like an update on that please. Any info ?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

currently the beta is on its way, with alliance partners participating (we asked about it today and can join). I guess after the beta there will be more news for the availability.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter