Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: New Alliance Program - a good thing for developers?

Peter_Strange wrote:

1) If you include the KB articles, I think you will find that RIM might have more stuff for developers than Apple

I guarantee that RIM has more developer documentation than Apple does. They're desperate to attract developers, as they are thousands of apps behind the iPhone. To combat this, they flooded potential developers with aides and documentation in the hopes that they'd take it as an invitation to get started. This is mainly the reason why my company started me on BlackBerry development in the first place. As a coop student, they needed something that I could train myself in and work on independently, but would still contribute to the company.

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 8900
My Carrier: Vodacom

I'm also very interested in knowing the timeline for opening BIS-B access to free level alliance partners - I emailed the Alliance Partner Program and they indicated it would be February this year - which has come and gone...

We have three clients who have put the release of BlackBerry apps on hold as they don't want to go ahead without BIS-B access. In the meantime they've released iPhone apps...

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hello Peter. Has anything changed since you made this post? And if not, what would you suggest using instead when your app connects to the net? AFAIK TCP and WAP often both incur substantial charges on your bill as a BB user. I know we discussed this before...

Justin Dutoit

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Globe

Any updates on the connectivity for BIS-B on the Registered Tier?

Regular Contributor
My Device: all BB 7 (incl. prototypes)
My Carrier: MTS-Ukraine

Guys, there is a similar article with comments here.

It is saying that  "You must be an associate if you want access to BIS-B which is the only truly reliable way to communicate to the internet from a BlackBerry app. Some of that is resolved in OS 5.0 ..."

Could you please explain me how BIS-B is in OS 5.0? Is it completely automatic when specifying it in  

ConnectionFactory.setPreferredTransportTypes()

If yes, do I really need to be an Associate member of the Alliance for BIS-B ?

New Contributor

So what happened with this? Just empty promises!!

RIM doesn't give a **bleep**....

Customers pay for BIS service. They expect free internet service like what is advertised and what they pay for, why should they be expected to pay to use apps that don't utilize BIS?

RIM is forcing developers to create apps that don't utilize BIS with ridiculous demands and thereby forcing customers to pay more for their service.

Customers are charged heavily for traffic not included in BIS and will normally uninstall apps that are costing them. So both the app developer and customer lose.

If a developer joins the alliance program and pays the $2000, then that expense is just passed on to the customer with more expensive apps. So again, the customer is being screwed.

And that's why appworld and the selection of apps sucks...

Man MadDown with RIM! Down with RIM!..

Blackberry is not developer friendly...

Blackberry is a waste of time for small developer shops...

Don't waste your time with blackberry development...

Developer

In that case, you probably shouldn't be wasting your time posting on this forum.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why's that? I don't think its a waste of time voicing my anger and frustration... There was mention of making bis available for all developers and then nothing. And how old is this thread? If they don't want to play ball then it's time to burn the {word filter avoidance} down...

Developer

Actually, I've been quite impressed with RIM lately.

Lots of good things coming our way!

Highlighted
Developer

Hi. Rather than getting personal, why not join at the base level (no BIS yet) then when you've developed an app that uses the internet, approach them for help. If you can show them you're serious about developing good apps, they may help you.

I do think though that RIM might consider having developers pay for BIS connectivity with an extra X% of each sale on BB AppWorld. This would help small developers and still cover the considerable cost of running the BIS servers.

J.