Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Visitor
My Device: non-BlackBerry user
My Carrier: non-BlackBerry user

New to BB - problems setting up HTTP on simulator

I've just spent the full day trying to get a working simulator set up and I'm at the end of my wits.  If anyone can be of help, you'd be my hero.  I'm an experienced developer but utterly new to BlackBerry and mobile apps in general

1) I am using the BB Eclipse java plugin version 1.5.0 with SDK 7.1.04

2) I need to create an application that uses http connections

3) I've set up the simulator to Launch MDS on startup, and I can confirm that the MDS server console loads up with a bunch of debug info when I start the sim

4) None of the simulator apps seem to be able to use http.  Not my own little 'hello world' XML RPC test, nor something built-in like the maps app.  When I try to open the map app, for example, I get a message saying 'There is insufficient network coverage. Please try again later.'  Facebook, twitter built-in apps: all the same story.

Is there anything I need to do to the simulator to tell it that, yes, you have an MDS server, please use it?  Is there some other newbie mistake I might be making?

My Device: Not Specified

Re: New to BB - problems setting up HTTP on simulator

Two suggestions, neither guaranteed to help sorry.

1) Sometimes I have had a Simulator, for no good reason that I could see, come up with no network active.  So initially when you start the Simulator, and you see all the the icons, look for the Manage Connections icon, click on that, then make sure that the Mobile Network option is checked.

2) It is possible to 'simulate' network outages by changing properties of the Simulator.  Click on the 'Simulate' menu option (this is the Windows menu option that you see near the top of the panel displayed, you will also see File/Edit/View), choose Network Properties and make sure that the network is being Simulated as in Coverage with a good strength.

Hope this helps.

You could also try downloading another Simulator?