Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

New to Blackberry Programming - Forgive Broad Questions

I am new to programming for the Blackberry platform and have a program that I would like to make my test/first program

General description...

• Application will have say 2 - 48 items with say 20 fields/pieces of information per item
  • User will enter information in the 20 some odd fields per item
  • When complete, user will attempt to send information to an email address or server for use by others
  • in case of power down or other problem, information should be saved on blackberry device to return after problem is resolved or information is forwarded to email or server

General questions are...

• can or should the local information be in some sort of database on blackberry device
  • is there a free database that runs on blackberry device / what is the desktop counterpart
  • if not is there a way to save info in a temp file until it can be forwarded to off device location
  • is there a way to connect to a server that cannot be exposed to the general internet, limited currently by IT department. Assume that server cannot have specific outside IP or port forward on router  

This is a good start for general information.

To anybody that is willing to address my general questions and help me understand, Thanks in advace!!!

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: New to Blackberry Programming - Forgive Broad Questions

[ Edited ]

can or should the local information be in some sort of database on blackberry device

is there a free database that runs on blackberry device / what is the desktop counterpart

Blackberry file system is not like Windows file system. It is like a hashtable, where information blocks are accessed via unique keys.There is no free database application for blackberry. For plain&simple databases for testing purposes you can use java.util.Vector class. It is persistable and can be saved to the Blackberry Persistent Store. Make sure that all your data model classes going to be added to Vector - also implement Persistable interface.

Is there a way to connect to a server that cannot be exposed to the general internet, limited currently by IT department. Assume that server cannot have specific outside IP or port forward on router.

If you run your app on device simulator with MDS Simulator (to allow networking for simulator) - then your local servers with local ip-addresses can be accessible.

Also it is strongly recommended to look at Blackberry Developer Guide (there are 2 books/parts).

It can be downloaded here:

App. Developer Guide. Part 1

App. Developer Guide. Part 2

Welcome to the club Smiley Happy

Message Edited by tbilisoft on 12-02-2008 05:30 PM
New Developer

Thanks for the Information...you have definitely pointed me in a constructive direction.

I am sure this will not be the last time I reach out for assistance!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Note that you can use the JSR 75 FileConnection APIs to access a windows like file structure on BlackBerry handhelds.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Developer

regarding: can or should the local information be in some sort of database on blackberry device

Check PersistentStore. This class lets you save any object to disk. You can even encrypt the contents. Check:

http://www.riccomini.name/Topics/Mobile/BlackBerry/BlackBerryPersistentStore/

For an example of a persistent store key/val class.

BlackBerry/Mobile Enthusiast - http://www.riccomini.name
Highlighted

rckuhn,

I'm looking into doing the same thing you did. I am also new in BB-pgm. Would you mind sharing what you found most helpful? Did you find good sources? Do you have "demo" program you wrote to test the features?

Thanks for any kind of reply!

Happy programming!