Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Strom 9500 Bold 9700
My Carrier: SFR

[Newbie] Building an Adress Book for travelling students

HI everyone !

I'm a student member of an association of travelling student and I'm looking for building a BB app that will make there trip an feedbacks easier Smiley Happy

Here what we wanna do :

1- We have an unexploited and huge Database filled with many kinds information about the country

2- Create a UI where the student can chooe what he's looking forand query the DB for it

3- Show the results of his query.

4- We are also thinking about a funtionnality that will allow them to post a short post or comment about the location

I'm in charge of developping it, since I'm the only one who have some knowledge on computing (Php, HTML, Javascript, VBA). I also have some basis in Java but I'm getting confused by the API Smiley Surprised

So, here I'am looking for some help and support to build this.

PS : I'm not asking for outsourcing in it lol but just for some good advices about what I need to do it properly.

Anyway, I'll share the source code here to help other begginers Smiley Happy

Thanks a lot

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: [Newbie] Building an Adress Book for travelling students

What part of the API are you getting confused with?

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
New Developer
My Device: Strom 9500 Bold 9700
My Carrier: SFR

I'm actually stuck with the UI !

I use to design it with the Design menu of Netbeans which i didn't found on Eclipse. I want to add 3 listbox and "OK" "Quit" Buttons.

Is it the same process for BB app or do i have to fully write in Java ?

On the API I found the ChoiceField and the other buttons on the UI.Component but I don't really know how to use them.

Thanks for ur reply

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Is this a "RIMlet" or a MIDlet?

If MIDlet then you can find various applications and utilities that you can use to make the GUI as RIM has not released their GUI builder yet (coming out later this year).

On the same line of thought, since there is no GUI builder right now you have to do everything in Java (unless, as stated before, you are doing MIDlet). A MIDlet is simply a wrapper around a "RIMlet" but a RIMlet will offer better customization and control.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.