Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Not able to access the internet from third party app on 8330

My client has 8330 device on Verizon service provider and his mobile network shows
1xev or 1XEV not sure which one.

When I ran the network diagonistic tool on his device, works using directcp without entering any APN details.
it shows ;deviceide=true at the end.

But my application is not able to do so.
My application is not able make internet connection from his device.
My app says ;deviceide=false and throws IOException.

The same app works fine using wap2 on my bold 9000 vodafone at India.
I have used the network diagnostic tool code for HTTP connection.

/** Determines transport availability. */ initializeTransportAvailability(); /* Order of HTTP connection WAP2 , WiFi, MDS, BIS-B, WAP1, Direct TCP. */ if( srWAP2 != null && coverageWAP2) { formattedURL = doHTTPWAP2(URL); System.out.println("Device Supports WAP2"); } else if(srWiFi != null && coverageWiFi) { // not implemented have to activate the service Vodafone formattedURL = doHTTPWIFI(URL); } else if(srMDS != null && coverageMDS) { // not implemented no BES formattedURL = doHTTPMDS(URL); } else if( srBIS != null && coverageBIS) { // not implemented no BIS formattedURL = doHTTPBIS(URL); } else if( srWAP!=null && coverageWAP ) { // not implemented not supported here formattedURL = doHTTPWAP(URL); } else if( coverageTCP ) { formattedURL = doHTTPDirectTCP(URL); System.out.println("Device Supports TCP"); } try { if (TransportUtils.isDevicesideRequired()) { http = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(formattedURL+";deviceside=false"); } else { http = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(formattedURL); }

Can someone throw light on it?

Developer

Re: Not able to access the internet from third party app on 8330

So, if Direct TCP works, why don't you make your app connect via Direct TCP (;deviceside=true)?
New Developer

This application would be used by any of users from any location.
So I dont want to just use directtcp, I wanted something like network diagonistic tool
where it identifies what transport is available and establishes connection on fly.

Kindly help.

Developer

In this case, you need to add some logic to try some other connection method/transport/route when you try a method/transport/route and it doesn't work. For example, in this particular case, after you've tried deviceside=false and found that it doesn't work (which is tricky because the IOException could be just a transient, rather than a permanent connectivity issue), you could try deviceside=true.
New Developer

does the network access code depends on CDMA or GSM devices ?

the device model which client has is 8330, it is CDMA one.

can somebody help me on this.

Developer

On Verizon you need ";deviceside=true" and no APN parameter to establish the connection.

Developer

Re your question:

"does the network access code depends on CDMA or GSM devices ?"

The answer is not really, it depends more on the carrier, the plan and the type of device (BIS/BES). 

As you point out, the network diagnostic tool has code that tries to determine the best route, why don't you look at that code and place similar logic in your own application?

Developer

The Network Diagnostic tool doesn't find the best route at all. All it does is enumerate available routes and then test whether they work.
Developer

Apologies, klyubin is absolutely correct.  The point I should have made is that having determined the available routes, you can decide which one is best.  In fact, I suspect most code that uses logic like this, works through the options until it finds the first one that works and chooses that. 

I would edit my post to reword but for some reason can not.

Highlighted
Developer

Apologies once again, I have re-read the whole hread, I think all my comments are redundant.  Please ignore them.  I would edit and remove them, but am not getting the Edit option