Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Notification System Help

hey, i am trying to implement the notification sytem in my app using notification manager.  I am using the notification sample app that comes with the JDE as a guide.

It explains how to add your app to the profile options under other, and shows you how to play some tunes, etc.  but it does NOT show you how to read in the values set under profiles for your app and then act accordingly.

Like if someone choose a specific notifier or ringtone and set led on or off and set the volume, it doesnt explain or even hint at how to read that info and then play it. 

Can someone help me with this?  Is there more info on using the notification system anywhere?  Am i missing something in this sample?  I printed it out and i read it again and didnt see anything.  it plays its tune in the conssquence file but doesnt care what youi set in the profile options,

Developer

Re: Notification System Help

Right - there is no way for you to "read the profile values set for your app and act accordingly".

Strange but true.

New Developer

RexDoug wrote:

Right - there is no way for you to "read the profile values set for your app and act accordingly".

Strange but true.

Wait so what is the point in being able to add your app in the profile options?

Also, there must be a way since apps like ap mobile news use it and you can set the alerts through it.

i mean what is the point of putting something there?

is there a way to read what profile is runing"?  like if my app plays an audio alarm,. i want to make sure it doesnt play when the device is on silent mode.

New Developer

anyone? 

if i dotn set a consquence, will it do the default?  it makes no sense that this isnt usable at all.

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Your application does not need to know the user's profile setting to fire the configured notification.  The application can trigger a notification event, which causes the BlackBerry handheld to alert the user using their configured setting.

Have a look at the notificationsdemo included with the BlackBerry JDE for an example.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker