Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Torch 9810

OS 7.0 Timers execute when asleep.

I’ve found a strange thing happening on os7.0 (and 7.1 as I've just discovered)  while testing one of my applications.

Previously (on OS6.0 and below), TimerTasks that were scheduled via a Timer would not execute if I turned off my device.

These are being scheduled to run once and not “at a fixed rate”, once the task has completed the app creates new instances of the timer and task and schedules them to run again later. I won't bore you with the reason why I have to do this.

On OS7.0 they continue to run when I’ve turned the device off, either by holding down the END key or clicking on the power off app icon.

These tasks still execute and go through the reschedule and execute function (after the correct allotted period).

Has anyone else noticed this effect and seen any documents / release notes to explain this change in functionality?

Developer
My Device: 9700

Re: OS 7.0 Timers execute when asleep.

Hi @MrRobClarke,

I don't know the reason for this but you can implement the SystemListener which has an API for powerOff & powerOn events.

E.