Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Posts: 25
Registered: ‎11-23-2008
My Device: BlackBerry Bold
Accepted Solution

OTA deployment question

I wanted to deploy an application over the air via BES (4.1), so I put the cod and alx files on a shared drive, ran the indexer, created software configuration and assigned it to the user. Everything went fine, except that it hasn't been pushed to the device yet -- it has been over 5 hours since the app was put on the server! So what could have gone wrong? How do I troubleshoot deployment failures? Is there a log somewhere I can look at? The application installs just fine using javaloader. And the cod files are under 60K each.


I would appreciate any help!


Posts: 19,636
Registered: ‎07-14-2008
My Device: Not Specified

Re: OTA deployment question

I've found useful information in the BES Logs, specifically the Policy one, which on our system is called (for Sept 9):




which I've found in (again, for Sept 9)


C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\20090909


In this log, I look for messages like:

Determine OTA deliverable packages for PIN ....


However I am no BES expert, it is not my area, I don't even know what release of BES we have. 

Posts: 25
Registered: ‎11-23-2008
My Device: BlackBerry Bold

Re: OTA deployment question

Thank you, Peter! Unfortunately, I found that logging had been disabled on the server recently -- so there was nothing to look at!


However, this is what I did:


1. Added 'AppProvisioningPollInterval' to the Windows registry and set it to 10 minutes (for testing. I set it 240 after I was done testing).

2. Restarted BlackBerry Policy Service (from Windows 'Services').


As soon as I did the above two things, I could see some activity! However, the device status under software configuration turned to "Device not supported". I then downloaded the latest Device.xml.


Issue resolved!